× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

New Launch Day Challenge?

• hermanjc
  • hermanjc's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 1 month ago #11546 by hermanjc
New Launch Day Challenge? was created by hermanjc
Hello everyone! I haven't been able to make the winter meetings thus far (I wanted to call into the last one, I was in Huntsville for work with a "Rocket View" hotel room, but my flight was too late). I wanted to suggest a new "challenge" for this spring/summer, as I heard in the past you have done closest to the center type fun contests and such.

Given recent events, I propose we have a "pop the balloon" contest, where we have a large helium balloon on a string maybe up a couple hundred feet from the center of the launch ring. This would obviously require a light wind day, but I think it would be fun to see if anyone can take out the threat. My F-22 Raptor Rocket might just be up for the challenge 

Would this violate any NAR rules? Am I just full of hot air and in need of getting my balloon popped?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago - 1 year 3 weeks ago #11547 by RetroRocketGuy
Replied by RetroRocketGuy on topic New Launch Day Challenge?
That's a cool idea! 

However, the NAR MR Safety code says this about Targets,

8. Flight Safety

I will not launch my rocket at targets, into clouds, or near airplanes, and will not put any flammable or explosive payload in my rocket.

How much would a balloon hit mess with the flight path? 

Last edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by RetroRocketGuy.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #11548 by RHobbs1
Replied by RHobbs1 on topic New Launch Day Challenge?
As I understand, launching at targets in the air on on the ground is a big no-no. That would make our rockets missiles (weapons) instead of somewhat dangerous toys.
But, we can still attempt to hit a target on the ground by way of trying to spot-land a rocket in recovery mode.
All we need is a cone and a small flag in the middle and other flags or ropes or chalk lines designating a circle. Make it maybe around a hundred feet wide, put it a few hundred feet downwind of the launch area.
Maybe offer a rocket or rockets as a prize, maybe a pack of engines or a parachute.
I think it would be fun for an Acton launch where we tend to have a lot of kids and it'll give them something to shoot for. It'll probably come down to sheer luck but it might be interesting to try to figure out how to land a rocket where you want it to.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #11549 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic New Launch Day Challenge?
I also checked the NAR Model Rocket Safety Code and ran across section 8.

In 2019 the NAR encouraged sections to hold a Land the Eagle Contest to commemorate the Apollo 11 Moon landing. Linda and I did the setup and judged the contest. It was done pretty much as described by RHobbs1

We had eight dowels in the ground along with caution tape to form an octagon. I think the diameter was 30 meters. We had a dowel in the middle with an American flag. There was a junior and senior division with prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. If a rocket landed in the octagon, we took a measurement from the flag to the rocket and recorded the results.

The nice thing was that the contest did not interfere with the flow of the launches. I may still have the caution tape and dowels if someone wants to run the contest. Guy loaned me his wicked long tape measure which is in meters. I would be willing to help with the setup. I have a Take IT Make IT kit that Guy gave me that I can donate as a prize.

More
1 year 1 week ago #11561 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic New Launch Day Challenge?
Is anyone interested in having another Land the Eagle Contest?
The NAR still has the rules posted on their website.
www.nar.org/50th-anniversary-of-apollo-1...agle-rocket-contest/
We used the rules as a guideline and imposed some of our own house rules.

As you can see, the winners are still immortalized on the NAR website.
www.nar.org/50th-anniversary-of-apollo-1...gle-contest-winners/

I will check to see if I still have the dowels, caution tape and flag at home.