× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Apogee SledgeHammer from Plans

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 4 months ago #11504 by deangelo54
Apogee SledgeHammer from Plans was created by deangelo54
The April 2022 Apogee Peak of Flight News Letter 572 www.apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/Newsletter572.pdf
featured plans and part numbers for a kit called the SledgeHammer. I used the Apogee website to price out the parts which came out to more than I wanted to spend. Recently, while working on a recent scratch build project, I came upon a print out of the plans and realized that I have most of the parts on the list. (John P. gave me the NC) I ordered the transition, MMT kit, rail guides and chute from Apogee. BTW, the chute is really nice. I probably could have  bought most everything except the transition from BMS at a lower price but, Tim's daughter is going to college and tuition is due for Spring semester. 

I included a photo of the parts dry fitted along with the decals I printed on regular paper and taped on just to see what the rocket looks like in person. 

This could be a fun winter project that may or may not be ready for the Winter Follies. I'm sure many of you out there would do a great job building this kit.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #11507 by tlainhart
Replied by tlainhart on topic Apogee SledgeHammer from Plans
Frank - where did you get the BT-70 from?

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 4 months ago #11509 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Apogee SledgeHammer from Plans
Hi Todd,

Balsa Machining Service has great prices on body tubes and other basic supplies. It is a paradise for scratch builders or for repair parts.
www.balsamachining.com/tarc_parts.pdf

I had some BMS parts left over from some previous projects that I used as part of the SledgeHammer build.

More
1 year 3 months ago #11510 by curtisheisey
Replied by curtisheisey on topic Apogee SledgeHammer from Plans
I buy tubes from BMS, Rocketarium or LOC. Shipping on the longer tubes (36 inch) is a real killer, so it's aways a good idea to order a few extra as well as different sizes in order to minimize the # of separate orders (we should organize periodic club buys). Some places sell 24 inch length, and the shipping on those is a lot less, if you can live with the shorter length.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #11515 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Apogee SledgeHammer from Plans
I recently launched the SledgeHammer for the first time. Nice flight and recovery. Thank you John Petrakis for the great video. Looks like the file size is too big.
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by deangelo54.