× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Workhorse Rockets

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 3 months ago #11495 by deangelo54
Workhorse Rockets was created by deangelo54
Three years ago at a CATO launch in Connecticut, I met a rocketeer who had a rocket he launched 52 times. I was totally amazed. At the time, I didn't have anything that came close to that. I have been keeping a manual flight log since 2015. I put 2020 through 2022 in a spreadsheet. 

A couple of weeks ago, a scratch built rocket I built in 2020 landed in a tree in Action. I was surprised to find out it had 39 flights. More than any other rocket, at least since 2020. It is interesting to see how many times I flew certain rockets and how few times I flew others. My Mad Cow Torrent from 2018 has only flown twice! 

I would be curios to hear about rockets you have flow many times or few times. The one I flew 39 times has only had one repair, a cracked fin on its first flight. I would imagine some of you have rockets with many flights and many repairs. I would like to hear about them.   

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago #11496 by curtisheisey
Replied by curtisheisey on topic Workhorse Rockets
One of my early Upscale Deuces Wild! rockets got 25 or 30 flights on it. It was 4 inch diameter on 2x29 CTI motors. I would write on the side the date of every launch with a sharpie. Eventually, with all the repairs over time, it got too heavy, and I had to retire it. I build another version of it.

More
1 year 3 months ago #11497 by RHobbs1
Replied by RHobbs1 on topic Workhorse Rockets
I've got a few Alpha-sized rockets I like to use for checking the wind aloft, some small payoaders, and a few boost gliders. My favorites though, are my larger sport models that I can put a little kick into and still be able to track them. And hopefully keep them on the field.
I especially like two-stagers like my Avenger that I've flown 18 times and my new Vanishing Point that's put in some solid flights. For single-stagers, either of my SkyLances are usually good for using up a pack of C6-5s. And I'm also part of the growing CMASS Mega Mosquito Swarm.
Hoping to add more bigger stuff to the fleet next year.

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #11498 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic Workhorse Rockets
I'd have to say mine is my HV-ARCAS... it certainly has the most battle scars.  No clue how many times it has been flown. 
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by DeltaVee.

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #11499 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Workhorse Rockets
If only our rockets could talk. The Salvage I wasn't my favorite rocket. I built it from parts I had around the house. It ended up as a good kit to fly in Acton. As time went on, I did become fond of it. Hopefully the unpainted flight ready Salvage II will serve me just as  well. I plan on sticking with the C11-5 and not the D12-5 I used when it landed in the tree. If anyone is interested, I can provide the parts list and dimensions. 
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by KennB.

More
1 year 3 months ago #11500 by hermanjc
Replied by hermanjc on topic Workhorse Rockets
Like Frank, when I started launching rockets regularly in 2020 I have been keeping relatively detailed records of flights and motors used. Since then I have logged 191 launches between my own local fields and flying with CMASS.

I have a few rockets now at or approaching 20 flights:

21 Flights - Scratch Built Saturn V (3 18mm Motor Cluster) - Been in need of multiple repairs to the overscale sized fins. Also seen a few anomalous flights/crashes due to 1 or more motors failing to ignite. Definitely has more flights in her, although I might remove and replace the motor mount for a single 24MM option.

19 Flights - Scratch Built Falcon Heavy (3 18mm Motor Cluster) - This baby follows SpaceX's full reusability principals. Even after a significant lawn dart by Center Core once and a couple flights where the booster shock cords got caught on the release hooks at burnout causing the center stage to spin around. Many repairs to the polycarbonate fins, but my FH is ready for more payloads.

17 Flights - Upscaled Estes SR-71 (24mm Motor) - The Estes kit was a childhood favorite build of mine which was lost on it's maiden voyage, but from reading reviews it was likely desitined for a short life even if recovered. So I upscaled it to make it easier to pack a larger chute, and it flies perfectly arrow straight. On its 16th launch a faulty motor resulted in a spectacular lawn dart. But I was able to make repairs and it returned for a perfect 17th flight, with more to come.

Attachments: