× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Thanks for all the help

More
1 year 9 months ago #11234 by rodthomas
Thanks for all the help was created by rodthomas
Yo Folks,
     I just want to thank everybody for the help I've received retrieving errant rockets of late.  Last fall Howard helped me extract a rocket from a tall tree at the absolute limit of the group's extension pole. Tony helped me get another treed rocket today. Scott Clement has kept me company on more than one occasion while I was pacing the unmowed fields that border our launch sites.
    Today, I sent one rocket into the tall grass upwind of our field (I should have used a parachute not a streamer) and another one drifted into the tall grass downwind of our field (I should have used a streamer not a parachute). I never would have found either one without the help of Mark who kept and eye on the upwind one and a kid looking for her rocket near the downwind one.
     So Thanks everyone.  Until I get my hands on a better prescription for my glasses, my ability to track my rockets is hampered.  Meanwhile, I guess I just need to fly lower power rockets. So sad. 
Rod

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #11235 by hgreenblatt
Replied by hgreenblatt on topic Thanks for all the help
You are most welcome! For some of us, recovering rockets (especially from trees here in New England) is a way of life...
I've always wanted to build a steerable, probably parafoil based and gps guided, recovery system for a rocket. I have also been inspired by the recent Rocket Lab, helicopter recovery: Rocket Lab Recovery I can see testing this out with a drone I have and some line and a hook! What could go wrong

• guyw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 9 months ago #11236 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic Thanks for all the help
I'm guessing both rocket and the drone end up in separate trees?