× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Balsa Machining Service

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 3 months ago #10874 by deangelo54
Balsa Machining Service was created by deangelo54
For the longest time, I have seen the BMS School Rocket advertisement in Sport Rocketry, I even used the paint scheme from the ad for my Madcow Torrent. I have been visiting their website for the last few days and noticed that they also have a 3.0" kit that they call 3" School Rocket. They have a version with a 24 mm MMT and another with a 29 mm. MMT. The webpage for the 29 mm kit lists several options such as a longer airframe and payload section. 
They have a wide selection of parts that is Heaven for the scratch builder. It took me awhile to decode some of the part numbers but I think I understand most of it. There is a link on the Home page for TARC parts which brings you to a very useful pdf file.

I ordered the smaller kit and the 29 mm version of the 3" kit with the 34" airframe, payload section, rail buttons, pre drill rail button holes and 30" chute. The kit does not come with a chute. For only $65 you get a 57" tall 3" rocket. Check out www.balsamachining.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 3 months ago #10876 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Balsa Machining Service
Last night when I went down to my basement, I could have sworn that some of my mid power rockets gave me dirty looks. I think they fear having to share flight time with the 3" 29 mm School Rocket I ordered. I was wondering if anyone else in the club has flown a School Rocket?

More
2 years 3 months ago #10878 by MALBAR70
Replied by MALBAR70 on topic Balsa Machining Service
I have built and flown the 18mm version of the school rocket. I also made a two stage version as well. I have been eyeballing the 3" version for a while now, I just haven't pulled the trigger.
A couple of summers ago, I used this kit for an outreach program I do at my wife's school. The school rocket is well thought out and made construction easy for kids with very limited skills.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 3 months ago #10879 by deangelo54
When I receive my 3" kit I will post information about it here.

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #10880 by RetroRocketGuy
Replied by RetroRocketGuy on topic Balsa Machining Service
Back when I lived in NJ, my close friend had one of those. It's a great flyer, easy to build, modify (if you want to) and fly. Its also very ideal for park flying too, if you feel the itch to send up "a big one". Like all others, It also has enough space for any "belongings" you wanna send up. Once, We flew it in a soccer field on an E30, and packed in an army paratrooper figurine, very interesting recovery of both
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by RetroRocketGuy.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 3 months ago #10881 by deangelo54
I am wondering what the 3" 29 mm kit weighs. With and without the payload section. How did your kit fly with the E30?