× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

National Rocket Competition - NRC

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #10624 by smaire
National Rocket Competition - NRC was created by smaire
Further to the discussion the other night about contest flying at CMASS launches.

Basics:
The Pink Book may be found at: www.nar.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/USMRSC_July-2021.pdf
A competition flight card is available at: www.nar.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/FC-1.pdf

The contest events for the 2021-2022 NRC season are:
1/4A Streamer Duration
1/2A Rocket Glider
A Parachute Duration
A Helicopter Duration
B Eggloft Altitude (altimeter)
B Altitude (altimeter)
Sport Scale

Competition in general is described in section 13 of the Pink Book. The rules for individual events are described in later sections.

Under the competition format put into place in 2017 a launch event that has been declared in advance to be an NRC and that has a contest director can be a competition launch. Flights are flown and results advised to the NAR where they are recorded and posted in the NRC database. The "scoreboard" is available at  www.nar.org/nrc-scoreboard/

At this time, if you can get a 1/4A streamer model to hang in the air for 52 seconds you would be the national leader.

To incorporate an NRC into a CMASS launch the mechanics would look this:

- Designation of Contest Director (CD)
- Advise NRC to NAR
- Designate a portion of the day to NRC flying (10-2?)
- Competitor completes CMASS and Competiton Flight Card for model check in. Model goes through existing RSO check and pad assignment.
- Timers drawn from volunteers/other flyers
- Flight flown and declared qualified by RSO/Range director/CD
- Result of flight recorded on Flight Card
- Model returned (necessary for altitude events and scale)
- Results collected by CD, posted to NAR site and CMASS site.

The competitor is free to fly at any NRC and should be working to improve results over the contest year (the contest year ends on June 30). Thus one could fly anything from your collection at, say, this first launch, then improve or rebuild the model for later launches.

As well, it appears that it is possible to compete as a non-NAR member and have the recorded as provisional then assigned to the NAR membership once it comes through. This would seem a good way to get junior members engaged in contest flying.

Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by guyw. Reason: Updated link for the Pink Book to current latest version.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tlainhart, truckmen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #10625 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic National Rocket Competition - NRC
I will print out some NRC flight cards on my laser printer on 90lb index (163 gsm) paper (the heaviest paper recommended for my printer) and have them available by the August 14th Acton launch.

Guy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: truckmen

More
2 years 7 months ago #10626 by TimDawson
Replied by TimDawson on topic National Rocket Competition - NRC
I will be a Acton all day on the 14th and will have a stop watch with me, if any flights need to be timed. I know, smart-phones can do the same, these days, but I'm old school! I was planning to time some of my flights for NARTREK Bronze level certification.
Also willing to help out in any way needed that day, full Sr. NAR member. Should be there early enough to help get the crickets off the field.
The following user(s) said Thank You: truckmen

More
2 years 7 months ago #10627 by MALBAR70
Replied by MALBAR70 on topic National Rocket Competition - NRC
This is great news as we have been bitten by the contest flying bug after doing well at NARAM-63. We will be willing to help out with the NRC events where we can. Looking forward to seeing a little competition flying at CMASS launches.

More
2 years 7 months ago #10628 by RHobbs1
Replied by RHobbs1 on topic National Rocket Competition - NRC
Sounds like fun. I've got a few birds that could work for A parachute duration.
Lucky for you guys I haven't replaced the nose cone on my Mini-Bertha.
Rick

More
2 years 7 months ago #10629 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic National Rocket Competition - NRC
I see this Saturday's launch is officially on the NAR NRC Events Launch page. I have 50 NRC flight cards printed out and ready to go. CMASS has the stop watches used for TARC timing that can be used for timed events. I will also have one PerfectFlite pNut and one PerfectFlite FireFly altimeter that can be borrowed if anyone needs to. Also have a copy of the Pink Book printed out in case it is needed. See you all Saturday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tlainhart, truckmen