× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

We Can Rebuild It

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 11 months ago #10453 by deangelo54
We Can Rebuild It was created by deangelo54
At the April 24th launch, it looked like my first two stage rocket was going to be my last two stage rocket. I found the booster but the sustainer landed in Cider Hill Farm. When I build a kit, I measure various components and record the information in the instruction sheet. I trace the fin pattern on an index card or a piece of card stock paper. This way, I am able to rebuild a lost kit. Do any of you do that?
In the case of my lost sustainer, I was able to round up enough parts and cut out the fins so that I can rebuild it. 
I should have taken Guy's advice and not launched it in those high winds.  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #10455 by DanTyszka1966
Replied by DanTyszka1966 on topic We Can Rebuild It
Hey Frank,

Yeah, I have to say, when I heard Ken say you were doing your maiden flight for your new scratch-built 2-stager on a C6-0/C6-? combo, I audibly said to myself "You've gotta be kidding me?!? In this wind?! No way he's getting that one back!" But nevertheless, I applaud your bold attitude in pushing the limits, and in taking the loss in stride with a plan to immediately rebuild.

To answer your question on maintaining build records for the future, I do something similar. I actually keep the original balsa sheets from which the fins were cut out in a ziploc bag, in case I ever need to replace a lost fin...Hasn't happened yet, but I've got the patterns if I ever need them. I also keep meticulous build records for each rocket I build in a binder, along with the instructions, marked up to indicate how I deviated from the base design. This makes it easier to remember exactly what I did when the time comes to make repairs. I also keep my sims for each rocket in the binder and bring it with me when I fly. I'm up to my 3rd binder at this point...The plastic storage box I bring with me to launches is starting to get heavy.

On the subject of replacement fins, I once got a kit (NCR SA-14 Archer) which came with an extra fin. Wasn't sure if that was intentional or a packing error. But I just shaped and pre primed the fin like I normally do when I did the original build and set the extra aside with my fin templates in the event I ever needed to replace it. Here again, have never had to use it, but it's there. Maybe that's the reason I never needed it?...because I had it. Certainly if I ever do build a rocket without keeping the fin patterns, I will surely lose a fin and need to figure out how to make an acceptable replacement from scratch.

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 11 months ago #10458 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic We Can Rebuild It
You are doing what I have thought about doing and I applaud you for it. It makes rocketry more fun and more interesting. About six years ago when Howard was mentoring a college team, he recommend that they document their flights. Since then I have been documenting my flights. Last year I inputted 210 flights into an Excel spreadsheet and created several pivot tables.

I don't know what I was thinking when I decided to launch that multi stage rocket at the April launch in Amesbury. The replacement upper stage is completed. Just needs to be painted.