× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Altitude Question

More
13 years 3 days ago #5179 by jhagan
Altitude Question was created by jhagan
Hi,

The fist launch is approaching and I am may go for my L2. Over the long winter months I built the Intimidator 3 and it is set up for dual deployment. I have a couple of choices for motors, first If I really want to go for it is a Pro 54 3gr. J1520 Vmax and that will gain an elevation of 3570ft, if I play it safer the choice is a Pro 38 6gr. J410 Red Lightning and that will gain an elevation of 2100ft.
I would like to go with the first choice if the weather is calm but I am a bit nervous about the never seeing the rocket again.
So if you read this and have an opinion about Amesbury elevation, let me know.

Thanks,

Joe Hagan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 days ago #5180 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re:Altitude Question
Unless it\'s dead calm (not likely in April)or there\'s a light wind blowing down the long dimension of the field, go with the lower altitude.

Keep in mind that it\'s essential that we keep everything on the field. There are a lot of really nice understanding neighbors and a couple of not so nice ones. We don\'t want to annoy either group.

More
13 years 3 days ago #5181 by jhagan
Replied by jhagan on topic Re:Altitude Question
Hi Bill,
Thanks for the direction. I do not know if you recall or not that my first L1 cert flight resulted in a lost rocket and I was lucky to get it back when one of our friendly neighbors put the rocket on the fence. So I think I will go the conservative route.
Thanks,
Joe Hagan

More
13 years 1 day ago #5183 by bobkrech
Replied by bobkrech on topic Re:Altitude Question
2100\' is a good altitude for an L2 cert at Amesbury.
The witnesses can see the whole flight, and you will have a good chance of recovering the rocket in-field.

Bob

More
13 years 1 day ago #5186 by HPRnut
Replied by HPRnut on topic Re:Altitude Question
I agree with Bob. 2100\' is a great altitude for a L2 cert flight. If you need a witness, let me know, I will be more than happy to be a witness for your flight. Let me know when you are going for the attempt. Have you passed the test yet?

More
13 years 1 day ago #5190 by jhagan
Replied by jhagan on topic Re:Altitude Question
I called NAR Headquarters a while ago and they are supposed to get a test to me. The time is getting short; I will have to give them another call.

I understand this would be the L2 test process. I bring the unopened test envelope and L2 application to the launch. The test is then administered and checked at the launch.
So if I pass the test, launch and recover the rocket successfully I then send the test and L2 application back to NAR headquarters.