× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Outreach - Blast Off- Sky high, Sci-fi Space Toys

• bobkrech
  • bobkrech's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 years 1 month ago #5090 by bobkrech
Carolyn Nenart, Education Director of the Wenham Museum has requested assistance from CMASS for their summer exhibition entitled Blast Off- Sky high, Sci-fi Space Toys.

I had a 1 hour telephone conversation with her yesterday to see what she was trying to do, and how she envisioned that CMASS might contribute to the exhibition. While nothing has been finalized, we discussed a build it and fly it session on Saturday June 25, 2011, and the loaning of some completed rockets for a display (2-3 months).

The museum is open from 10-4 on Saturday, but they plan to have an evening event from 4-7 pm. One possibility is to have 1 or 2 or an all day build session using simple a simple Fliskit Whatchamacallit or similar rocket that can be built in less than 1/2 hour and won\'t get lost on a 13 mm 1/4A-3 motor. This would be an inexpensive build costing less than $15 and I suggested that anyone who build a kit can come to the July launch in Amesbury and launch with us for no launch fee.

We also discussed having a table with some finished models. This would require a 3 month loan of a rocket to the museum. A Goddard kit would be appreciated as they want to have a talk/presentation on him.

I also suggested that they could have a TV hooked up to a DVD player playing videos of rocket launches (Boris?).

If anyone is willing to help out, or provide a rocket or video, please post. I\'ll be in contact with the Museum and would like to coordinate CMASS\'s participation in the event. If you can help out, or make suggestions to improve the program, please post to this thead.

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #5091 by Jimmyd
Bob I can help out with whatever you need. Having done build sesions for the last couple of years with the scouts can also help out with the launch.
Jim

More
13 years 1 month ago #5093 by ClaudeMaina
Replied by ClaudeMaina on topic Re:Outreach - Blast Off- Sky high, Sci-fi Space To
Bob,

I\'d like to see if I can help out. Although I\'m not sure I can help on June 25th. As of now, Katy and I are planning to attend NERRF and it is that weekend. But I should be able to help at other times.

Claude

• bobkrech
  • bobkrech's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 years 1 month ago #5097 by bobkrech
We know it is NERRF weekend, but less than a dozen CMASS folks go, and we probably only need a dozen or so CMASS folks,it shouldn\'t be a problem.

We do need some display rocket so if you have one that you can do without for 3 months, I\'m sure we could use it for a display. We also could see if they might be interest in havin a CMASS member present on other days to answer questions.

When and what activities will actually happen on the big Saturday is open at present. The launch activity is currently called Outer Space Saturday and currently schedule from 4:30-7:00 PM, but Carolyn and I agreed that this is not long enough to actually make and fly the rockets, so we believe that we\'ll either have several build sessions and then go launch, or have a continous build and launch session. The biggest unknown is where will we launch. The fire department lawn is beside the museum, but it is a bit less than 100\'x100\' but it\'s possible to launch a 1/4A3 from that space if the wind isn\'t too strong as the rocket will only go up about 100\'. There are several similar plots beside the museum. More investigations are required.

There is a large field 1/4 mile from the museum capable of low power launches and it will likely that we can use that field in the evening for a a series of low power demonstration flights.

Bob

Attachment Area_around_Wenham_Museum.pdf not found

• BiggerHigherFaster
More
13 years 1 month ago #5101 by BiggerHigherFaster
Replied by BiggerHigherFaster on topic Re:Outreach - Blast Off- Sky high, Sci-fi Space Toys
Hi Bob,
I can probably help that weekend also. I have not done an event like this before but I have some experience doing outreach with this age group.
Nick

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #5127 by jflis
I have been in touch with the museum as well (having received an email about this event). I was not aware of a discussion going on here.

I am working with Carolyn Nenart, as well as the museum director(?) with regard to a rocket build session and launch as well as a model display.

With regard to the display, they are looking mainly for items from the manned US space program. I have a Saturn 1B that I have offered. If anyone can provide a Mercury Redstone, Merc Atlas, Gemini Titan, Saturn V and/or Space Shuttle, that would be wonderful. As mentioned, you would have to be willing to part with the model for about 3 months.

To date, Carolyn and I have not discussed dates and the weekend of NERRF wouldn\'t be my first choice...

Folks with US manned spacecraft models who are willing to provide them for display can respond here but please also send me an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. so that I can coordinate with the museum. At the moment, it looks like mid-may for delivering the models. I will also be brining a Goddard NELL rocket with me (unless someone has a pretty one already finished and is willing...). I will take one of my proto-s and pretty it up if need be.

Keep me posted and if anything significant comes up, it would be great if someone could post an email to me.

thanks!
jim