× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Acton Winter Carnival Feb 5th: Demo Night Launch

More
13 years 3 months ago #4953 by HPRnut
Right now, I am unsure if I can make it. I will find that out tomorrow. If I can make it, I will have my Big Nuke there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jcsalem
  • jcsalem's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 3 months ago #4954 by jcsalem
Some final details on the Acton Winter Carnival Night Launch...

Setup Time is 3:30PM

Launch Time is 7:00 to 7:30PM though we may be able to start earlier in the day depending on the timing of hot air balloon rides and the fire spinners.
Table(s) will be provided for CMASS use next to the bath house. Electricity is available provided we bring a long extension cord (I plan to do so).

There will be many events including sled races, free Dunkin\' Donuts hot chocolate, three fire pits (alas, none near our table), fire spinners, hot air balloon rides, and Wally the Green Monster. Fun for the whole family!

Here is a map showing the launch site and our table location:
maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&ms...14,0.008701&t=h&z=17

Note that this is an outside event and the firepits are not near our table. The site is currently covered by at least 12\" of snow. Dress warm, wear snow boots, and bring a thermos.

Since this is a night launch, the rockets need to be fully illuminated and you should plan on keeping the altitude fairly low since the usable field is probably under 500\' wide depending on wind conditions.

Please let me know if you are planning to come and how many rockets you\'re planning to fly.

• jcsalem
  • jcsalem's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 3 months ago #4955 by jcsalem
PS: Can anyone recommend a place to acquire a bright string of battery-powered LED lights?

More
13 years 3 months ago #4956 by billspad
jcsalem wrote:

PS: Can anyone recommend a place to acquire a bright string of battery-powered LED lights?

If you need them before Saturday, I have strip of 20 yellow LED\'s. If they\'re for a future project try Super Bright .

More
13 years 3 months ago #4957 by billspad
jcsalem wrote:

Electricity is available provided we bring a long extension cord (I plan to do so).

Assuming I get the trailer dug out again, we have hundreds of feet of extension cord in the trailer.

Note that this is an outside event and the firepits are not near our table. The site is currently covered by at least 12\" of snow. Dress warm, wear snow boots, and bring a thermos.

Again, assuming I can get to the shed it\'s in, I\'ll bring a small propane heater. I guess I have to get in there because that\'s where the G69 Skidmark reload is.[/quote]

On to more important things. Since we\'re going to get done a little late for Not Your Average Joe\'s, I propose we meet there before we set up an eat first.

More
13 years 3 months ago #4958 by billspad
The Acton Winter Carnival has been canceled because of too much winter:

We are sorry to report that Winter Carnival scheduled for Saturday, Feb. 5th has been cancelled due to snow removal / safety issues at NARA Park. There is no makeup date planned.

We do not have the Natural Resources crew available to clear the multiple areas in time for the event after these two back-to-back storms. In order to have the Park safely ready for Winter Carnival it takes a lot of man hours to plow, snow blow and sand to make it safe. In addition to the cleanup, the parking lots are not safe for an event with crowds as the snow banks are high and parking is limited.

Streets cleanup is the first priority and it?s all hands on deck including our Natural Resources crew.

Thank you so much for your understanding.

Acton Recreation Department