× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

E Matches

More
13 years 4 months ago #4830 by dlindbergh
Replied by dlindbergh on topic Re:E Matches

Do flashbulbs require a shunt to protect against accidental firing due to static/stray sources? The shunt is removed/cut at the pad just prior to launch. -Alan

I don\'t think so. I don\'t use shunts, and I\'ve never heard of anybody using one on flashbulbs.

I\'ve never seen (or even heard) of one going off by itself.

Flashbulbs (standard AG1 type) are current-driven devices - around 200 mA will set them off. If you give it 500 mA, they are 100% reliable in my experience. I\'ve never seen one fail.

On the other hand I\'ve seen LOTS of Estes igniters fail. Supposedly the Quests are MUCH better. But I\'ll stick with what works.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #4831 by Boris Katan
Replied by Boris Katan on topic Re:E Matches
I\'ve had very good luck with the Rocketflite MF ematch kits. Wires are pre-assembled, dip twice and they are good to go.

They do require an altimeter with a battery powered firing circuit, not a capacitive discharged one.

More
13 years 4 months ago #4833 by jhagan
Replied by jhagan on topic Re:E Matches
Thanks everybody for the info.

Originally I kept my message short, consequently leaving out information and resulting in some questions.

The question on ematches comes from, what is the most reliable ignition device for a dual deploy system? My electronics consist of the Perfect Flite HiALT 45K that will fire the ematches (TBD) and ignite BP, GOEX 4F.

This is my winter project, so at this point I am gathering some of the components and info. There are certainly quite a few considerations.

I did take the recommendation from a few people and purchased a copy of Modern High Power Rocketry...lots of info...great reference book!

Thanks again everybody,

Joe Hagan

More
13 years 4 months ago #4834 by mainer
Replied by mainer on topic Re:E Matches
Ive used only nichrome wire soldered to a pair of cat 5 wire without pyrogen mix. Many ground tests, and 10 flights with both events using the same setup. No problems yet(knock on wood), I also use the perfectflight HiAlt 45. 9v fires it perfect. Stick the wires in a small plastic vial (with lid) out through a small hole drilled at the bottom, and depending on the size of the rocket fill with the amount of bp. I put a small piece of fiberglass insulation on the top of the bp to keep it from shifting in the vial. Its cheap and it works for me.

More
13 years 4 months ago #4835 by Boris Katan
Replied by Boris Katan on topic Re:E Matches
I also use the Perfectflite HA45K and 4F for deployment.

There are a number of ematch options that would work well with these. The one I used with 100% success is Rocketflite\'s MF ematches.