× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to trade build ideas and kit reviews.

Shooter wire for DIY starters?

• tlainhart
  • tlainhart's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #11386 by tlainhart
Shooter wire for DIY starters? was created by tlainhart
I received a Conductive Starter Mix kit from Quickburst a couple weeks back, and built a number of starters using CAT5 twisted pair and twisted wire-wrap. Works as well (perhaps better) than the IgnitorMan conductive slurry mix that I used years back. See video links below (couldn't figure out if/how/where to upload here). Includes a dipped solar igniter as an experiment.

Although I had success with the starters I rolled, I found them to be a bit fiddly. The instructions recommend 24 AWG shooter/shooting wire, but I've not been able to find any at reasonable lengths (e.g. ElectricMatch sells some at $40 for a 500' spool, which I'll not be able to use in my remaining years). This wire seems attractive as its duplex and perhaps easier to strip/space.

Any recommendations?

www.dropbox.com/s/czq36l3azi4phyb/starte...lar-igniter.mp4?dl=0
www.dropbox.com/s/rh2i1kk14fpfoo5/starter-ethernet.mp4?dl=0
www.dropbox.com/s/5dt2w3xjalipkdq/starter-wire-wrap.mp4?dl=0

Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by tlainhart. Reason: Link modification

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #11387 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic Shooter wire for DIY starters?
How are they fiddley?   This conductive stuff is so you don't need a bridge wire right?   I've got a bunch of dual conductor wire lying about (not tons and tons but quite a bit) lying about.  It's probably no better than the cat 5 wire you're using though.
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by DeltaVee.

• tlainhart
  • tlainhart's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 7 months ago #11388 by tlainhart
Replied by tlainhart on topic Shooter wire for DIY starters?
Yes - no bridge wires needed for the conductive stuff.

Fiddly in that the wire wrap wire needs to be (or is easier to work with when) wound. And because of that wrapping, it takes a bit of work to get the bare leads straight and the right distance from one another.

The ethernet twisted pair does the twist for you, but with my sample, the wire is stranded, so it too takes a bit of work to get those bare ends right.

Probably a technique that improves with time, or with the creation of a jig of some sort.

These seem like a great solution, a batch of 40 only costing $5.00. I was going in that direction until I realized the shipping would be $17.00. For $22 I'll stay with fiddly.

More
1 year 7 months ago #11389 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic Shooter wire for DIY starters?

Yes - no bridge wires needed for the conductive stuff.

Fiddly in that the wire wrap wire needs to be (or is easier to work with when) wound. And because of that wrapping, it takes a bit of work to get the bare leads straight and the right distance from one another.

The ethernet twisted pair does the twist for you, but with my sample, the wire is stranded, so it too takes a bit of work to get those bare ends right.

Probably a technique that improves with time, or with the creation of a jig of some sort.

These seem like a great solution, a batch of 40 only costing $5.00. I was going in that direction until I realized the shipping would be $17.00. For $22 I'll stay with fiddly.

I love stuff where shipping is 3x the cost of the product!