× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to trade build ideas and kit reviews.

Eggtimer... it's the BOMB!

• DeltaVee
  • DeltaVee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #11381 by DeltaVee
Eggtimer... it's the BOMB! was created by DeltaVee
So as many folks know, I purchased a couple of eggtimer mini-switches a short time ago.  After some interesting days search for a fly-speck sized component I had lost miraculously got found (if you get one of these kits be VERY careful when you remove the component from it's blister package), I was able to proceed with construction (Cris Erving was going to send me a new 805 led when I had lost it, but I managed to find it JUST before he was going to send it.  Cris is a stand-up guy and you cannot beat the customer service).  The purpose of this switch is that it will replace the mechanical pull pin for my Stratologger in my Cherokee G.  I'll be able to turn it on with wifi using my phone from up to 100 feet away.  The switch can power on most 3rd party altimeters etc. and there is a model, the wifi-switch, which also does continuity checking too!  Since my altimeter does that, the mini switch fit the bill.  Necessary? No.  Fun to build... VERY.  My hands are not the most steady yet I was able to build it in an hour or two.

The difficulty rating for this device is 3/5 (1/5 is for standard 'thru the hole' types of electronics kits).  These parts are SUPER small and a magnifier, excellent forceps, a good soldering station and GOOD lighting are mandatory.  
The Guy Wadsworth recommended solder station: 

www.amazon.com/dp/B09SPLJR7J?ref=ppx_yo2...product_details&th=1

Has multiple tips, forceps, temp control and about a 30 second warmup time!!!  If you're a prime member it's $40 and as such, cheaper than the weller system at home depot.  Needless to say I could not build a kit like this without something of equivalent features!   Below is a shot of the circuit board... I JUST finished doing the surface mount components... next to it is the wifi module which will require some interesting construction...

The eggtimer quantum altimeter has a similar difficulty level, wifi control and so on... and if you want to do dual-deploy it's a definite bargain!  

Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by DeltaVee.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 6 months ago #11382 by tlainhart
Replied by tlainhart on topic Eggtimer... it's the BOMB!
Well done! I wouldn't have the courage...

• DeltaVee
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #11383 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic Eggtimer... it's the BOMB!
IT'S ALIVE!!!!   .... ALIVE!!!!!   Building this was actually easier than I thought.
I haven't built an electronic device since the original estes transroc back in the '70's

Attachments:

More
1 year 6 months ago #11384 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic Eggtimer... it's the BOMB!
Cool. Now I have to get one (and build all the other eggtimer stuff I have already!)

• DeltaVee
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #11385 by DeltaVee

Cool. Now I have to get one (and build all the other eggtimer stuff I have already!)

I'm seriously thinking of picking up a eggtimer quantum.  At $40, the price is right and it's the same level of difficulty as the mini-switch.  The proton at $70 is a bit pricier as it has three axis accelerometers along with the barometric altitude feature but it's level of difficulty is considered to be 5/5... the quantum like the mini-switch is 3/5.  But I will say dealing with soldering in all the wires into the wifi module, in spite of being thru-the-hole soldering, was somewhat more tedious since it's not as exciting as the possibility of losing a component if you had an errant sneeze!

• DeltaVee
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #11390 by DeltaVee
Here it is... all wired in during an operational test...  Note that the red led is on along with the amber led...  red indicating power to the altimeter is on.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tlainhart