× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Safety Check

• houston47d
  • houston47d's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 10 months ago #6624 by houston47d
Safety Check was created by houston47d
Hello,

At the last Amesbury launch, there was a request for people to help out with the safety check (and LCO, I think).

What are the requirements (if any) for doing the Safety Check station? Do you need to have an L1 (or higher) certification to check in rockets for the high-power pads?

While we discussing it, what about the LCO?

As I understand it, everything is done under the supervision of the RSO.

Thanks,
David Houston

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #6625 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: Safety Check
Let's start with LCO. You need to be able to flip two switches at the same time, know when it's safe to flip the switches and be able to read from the flight card. The first two are important. You don't have to be good at the third. I can train you at a launch in five minutes.

For the most part, anyone who has flown rockets for a few years can do the RSO job. You need to have a good idea of what works and what doesn't. Motor on the bottom, at least three fins on the same end of the rocket as the motor, balancing just forward of the fins and some kind of launch lug covers most model rockets. It's always good to ask a flyer you don't recognized if there's non flammable wadding. If the flyer hesitates when you ask him a question it usually means he's clueless and you have to look a little more carefully. High power needs a little more scrutiny. Common failures include inadequate shock cords, improperly wired or programmed electronics, poor motor choice, and improper motor assembly. These can be hard to catch at check in and if you don't like the answers your getting you can ask the flyer to disassemble the rocket in front of you. It's not unreasonable to ask to have the location of the CP and CG demonstrated. If you have any doubt you can ask a more experienced flyer for a second opinion.

The LCO and RSO have total authority over what flies and what doesn't. If either/or have any question about the safety of a flight the rocket does not fly.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #6640 by alan
Replied by alan on topic Re: Safety Check
The Launch Needs You !

You can sign up HERE for LCO, RSO or Shuttle Driver duties at the 27-Jul-2013 Amesbury launch.

Bill, what do you think about trying 2 RSOs for 27-Jul-2013, one for LPR and another in parallel for HPR for part of the day?

Thanks,
-Alan
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by alan.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #6641 by BobH
Replied by BobH on topic Re: Safety Check
Ok, I signed up for a shift doing LCO.... I can mispronounce people's names with the best of them.
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by BobH.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #6642 by azhilyakov
Replied by azhilyakov on topic Re: Safety Check
Signed up... i may stick around for other things if the heat does not get me first.

Alan/Bill - you may want to use some sort of sign-up service instead of wiki, more convenient and less chance someone will mess up the page. I mocked up an example - see here.

PS. Anyone signed up for june 4th?

-Alex
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by azhilyakov.

More
10 years 9 months ago #6643 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: Safety Check

Signed up... i may stick around for other things if the heat does not get me first.

Alan/Bill - you may want to use some sort of sign-up service instead of wiki, more convenient and less chance someone will mess up the page. I mocked up an example - see here .

PS. Anyone signed up for june 4th?

-Alex

We tried one of those signup things years ago. My recollection is that it didn't work well. People forget, have they're plans change etc. in the month between when they signed up and the launch. The good news is that I probably won't forget you volunteered and even if I do impromptu volunteering will not be discouraged!