New field possibility

• GrantW
  • GrantW's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 6 months ago #10241 by GrantW
Replied by GrantW on topic New field possibility
In June I took some drone shots of the solar farm on the field. The road going out has been improved. At least where I was the road is now all gray stones and is a smooth ride. In the picture you can see the road to the left of the panels.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #10242 by hgreenblatt
Replied by hgreenblatt on topic New field possibility
That looks a lot better than I remember it. Any idea of how much of the field is taken up by that solar array? It's one thing having a large rocket come in ballistic into the dirt and another into a solar panel...

• GrantW
More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #10243 by GrantW
I don’t remember exactly how much it takes up, but I looked at the property lines and it takes up less than a quarter mile in its longest axis. This should leave plenty of space for rocket landings. I cut a panoramic I took and it shows the field behind the panels. There should still be about a mile by .75miles of land. One thing I have noticed by looking at the picture though is that the nice road ends at the end of the solar farm.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by GrantW.

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #10244 by RetroRocketGuy
Replied by RetroRocketGuy on topic New field possibility
hmm, whats all this chatter about Cumberland Farms.....Hmmm lets go see.....*types* ........'GOOD LORD THIS PLACE IS HUGE!!!!"

www.google.com/maps/place/Cumberland+Far...586693!4d-70.8855674

Wait a sec, there seems to be an abandoned building from the pictures...anyone shed some light on this?
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by RetroRocketGuy.

• GrantW
More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #10245 by GrantW
Yes, the abandoned building is a bunker-like structure that is more of a foundation now. Shouldn’t pose too much of a threat to the operation. Here is a picture from 2 years ago before the field was mowed. I’m not sure if these are still there or not.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by GrantW.

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #10246 by BDB
Replied by BDB on topic New field possibility
Grant's picture is how I remember this site. Recovery would be difficult in those thick weeds, but if it is mowed, it would be perfect. I think launching from near these concrete buildings would be great. The road used to lead directly to that area from the north side of the field, but that is now where the solar farm is located.

If anyone knows how to make the contacts to get access to this field, please do. If it would help the argument, I have contacts with several college rocketry teams in the area who are looking for places to practice launching for programs like NASA SLI.

Brenton
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by BDB.