× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Winter 2022 Builds

More
2 years 3 months ago #10947 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Winter 2022 Builds
That is quite the list. All that would take me about three to four years to build. You all have a GREAT workspace, very nice. Do you paint inside or outside? I paint outside. The wind constantly shifts which makes painting a challenge.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #10948 by RD-ROX
Replied by RD-ROX on topic Winter 2022 Builds
Yeah, outside here, as well. Kinda puts you at the whim of Mother Nature. It'd be great to have a spray booth, but I don't see where we'd have the room.

More
2 years 2 months ago #10949 by TimDawson
Replied by TimDawson on topic Winter 2022 Builds
I, too, paint outside, or in a detached garage, which lags behind in warming up on a cold morning.  I don't paint unless it's over 40° out.  Got a clear coat on my Doorknob today, so she's ready to go.  It will be at the follies.

More
2 years 2 months ago #10950 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Winter 2022 Builds
I work at a large office building in Boston. We have access to the loading dock area which is quite large. I had thoughts of painting rockets there until someone at my company told me he was spoken to about painting some props for a work related promotion. I have often thought about asking a body shop manager if I could rent space in a paint booth.

More
2 years 2 months ago #10952 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic Winter 2022 Builds
Just do the painting at your desk.... what could possibly go wrong with that? 

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #10953 by MALBAR70
Replied by MALBAR70 on topic Winter 2022 Builds
I use the "spray and dash" method of painting in the winter.
First, I'll warm my can of paint up by putting it in a container of warm water for ten to fifteen minutes (usually until the can feels warm) and give the can a good shake. Then, making sure the rocket is at at least room temp, I'll quickly go out side, give the rocket a quick coat of the warmed paint and then dash back inside to let it dry.
The paint does smell up the house for a little while, so I usually wait for a time when my wife isn't home.

No winter projects for me yet, although I've done some repairs to some of the birds on the DL.

Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by MALBAR70.