× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Amesbury launch cap

• GrantW
  • GrantW's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 5 months ago #9709 by GrantW
Amesbury launch cap was created by GrantW
Hi, Does anybody know what the max. launch height for the field in Amesbury? I was thinking of getting a high-powered two stage kit and was wondering if i would even be able to fly it here. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #9710 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Amesbury launch cap
We've set the max altitude at the Amesbury field at 3900-ft; that would only apply if the wind conditions were ideal (blowing along the long axis of the field) and if the flyer has demonstrated good capabilities. Otherwise, safety and continued use of the field are major factors in trimming that limit.

As to two stage HP rockets, I'm going to continue the decision put forth by my predecessor; no. The only exception has been Boris Katan's Hellboy with its booster. At best, it wouldn't attain a very high altitude and it had a remote deployment system for the upper stage in case it wasn't pointing up when it lit.

Vermont and New Hampshire have clubs that could handle your project. If you want to go outside New England, New York and Maryland would be places to look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GrantW

More
4 years 4 months ago #9711 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Amesbury launch cap
Where in New Hampshire is there a section that has a large field? Is there yet another road trip in the horizon?

More
4 years 4 months ago #9713 by KennB
The Lake Winnipesaukee High Power Section - winter launches only.

• GrantW
  • GrantW's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 4 months ago #9715 by GrantW
Replied by GrantW on topic Amesbury launch cap
Ok, so no two stage high power, but would g79s be ok? It is estimated to go about 3000ft. I would probably use the simple timer, which if the rocket is more than 45 degrees, the second stage won’t fire; and a small duel deployment altimeter in case of this situation and the parachute requires deployment. I haven’t bought anything for this project yet I was just wondering if I should do it or not depending on the fields limitations.

More
4 years 4 months ago #9716 by KennB
I'll discuss this with the other officers at our meeting next week. I wouldn't put much hope in flying a two-stage composite rocket at the Amesbury field. If the second stage could ignite while pointed toward the power lines, we could lose the field and I can't let that happen.

We've had issues with some home designed two-stage black powder rockets that make them an iffy proposition on that field. As I alluded to in my previous post, safety and continued use of the field are two major determining factors in what will or won't fly with CMASS in Amesbury.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GrantW