× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Rail Buttons on a BT-60

• tlainhart
  • tlainhart's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 4 months ago #9254 by tlainhart
Replied by tlainhart on topic Rail Buttons on a BT-60
Further flaunting my launch rail ignorance...

Should I be getting 1010 or 1015 rail buttons? What sort of rail does the club have, and which is more appropriate for a BT-60?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #9255 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Rail Buttons on a BT-60
For a BT-60 you want 10/10 rail buttons. Check out the Animal Works website.
cart.amwprox.com/index.php?option=com_vi...emart_category_id=18

The RG10A is for rockets that you have not built yet. The RG10B is for rockets that are already built.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tlainhart

More
5 years 4 months ago #9256 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic Rail Buttons on a BT-60
The club has mini-rail, 1010 rail and 1515 rail. There is also potential access to a uni-strut rail and pad setup, but that would only be useful for a joint launch at the Berwick, Maine field, and would take some additional work.

Guy.

More
5 years 4 months ago #9257 by deangelo54
At the 2017 NY Power launch I was not allowed to use 1/4 inch launch lugs on a BT-80, 2.5 and 3.0 inch rocket. I ended up retrofiting the rockets at the field using the RG10B buttons. I did the same for someone’s Leviathan at a RIMRA launch this year. I can help you do the same at the Winter Follies.

• tlainhart
  • tlainhart's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 4 months ago #9258 by tlainhart
Replied by tlainhart on topic Rail Buttons on a BT-60

At the 2017 NY Power launch I was not allowed to use 1/4 inch launch lugs on a BT-80, 2.5 and 3.0 inch rocket. I ended up retrofiting the rockets at the field using the RG10B buttons. I did the same for someone’s Leviathan at a RIMRA launch this year. I can help you do the same at the Winter Follies.

Thanks - I'm assuming that with the BT-60/80 thin-walled tubes, you screw those guys in with some backing CA? I probably won't have anything ready for Acton, but if I do, I'll take advantage of your offer.

I read about the rail requirements at Geneseo. I signed up to attend this year's Sport Launch, but had a conflict at the end (regret that I didn't mail the organizers or here to say that a banquet slot was open). Regardless, still followed the event. I think I read that some vendor was selling 1/4" lug => rail button adapters to help those folks that missed the memo.

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #9259 by deangelo54
I posted a video on Youtube awhile ago on how to retrofit and existing rocket for rail buttons. It's not that great but if I can find it I will post the URL. If you haven't started the kit yet then you can use the RG10A buttons. For retrofits I drill a 1/16 pilot hole then work up to a 3/32 hole. I use ultra thin CA around the hole to give the tube some strength. I put a dab of epoxy on the screw, some of which gets on the bottom of the button. Every now and then I check on the buttons to make sure they are secure.

If this is a new build then refer to Guy's first reply. I did something similar except that I used double sided sticky tape. With a new build it is a good idea to place a coupler in the body tube before drilling to prevent damaging the body tube. Later tonight I will go over my notes and post what size bit to use.

Here is a video from Apogee Components that gives you an idea on installing rail buttons on a new build.
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by deangelo54.