× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Current Projects

  • John P. Petrakis
  • John P. Petrakis's Avatar
  • Away
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
2 months 1 week ago #9136 by John P. Petrakis
What Guy said! Which is what I was thinking but not eloquent enough to put into words!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

  • John P. Petrakis
  • John P. Petrakis's Avatar
  • Away
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
2 months 4 days ago - 2 months 4 days ago #9142 by John P. Petrakis
So I'm now in the process of finishing my AT Astrobee D. I have this positively ancient can of Coverite Military flat tan that I'm using for the nose cone and fins. After some initial tests to show it won't curdle when applied over krylon primer (the gray stuff is pretty good still), I found if you put it over Rustoleum 2x bad things happen. I was going to give the nose and main body a white base coat with the Rustoleum but that just wasn't going to work. I decided to paint the nose separately with the flat tan right on the primer even tho it was gray (I figured a white base would be easier but not on 2x!) ... in the end I got a good result on the nose cone. I then went to the hardware store because I found I had less than a full can of 2x white left.... and they didn't have any. I had decided to use gloss so the sticker type decals would adhere better and then give it a clear matte overcoat. Rustoleum 2x clear matte they had... not white... sigh. Then I went (reluctantly) hunting for krylon gloss white... NOPE! I settled on a can of "Do it Best" brand gloss white. To my surprise it went on with very good coverage. It did take (probably) 60% of the can of paint (5 feet of 2.6" tube to paint after all) but the finish was surprisingly good. Not quite mirror-glossy like R.O. 2x but very acceptable.

Now all I have to do is get the tail 3.5" painted black, prep and paint the fins and it'll be ready for final assembly. The "D" is conducive to doing the painting prior to fin attachment and boy is it much easier. I'll have to scrape some paint away for the mini-gew-gaws that you attache later, but the bottom line is this "discount" paint worked out with care in application. The one drawback? The nozzle is in a circular recess on the spray can. This recess can collect a bit of paint and then "blotch" it out (if for example, you stop for a second and start spraying again). I kept a tissue with me to periodically mop out the paint that'd pool in the recess to prevent it.

PS: Frank, tell Sal that the type of red I used on the Estes Ventris was Rustoleum 2x Gloss Apple Red. I thought it was just a plain 'ol red but on checking the can I found that it apparently is "apple red". It was the only red paint I found for the RO brand that was clearly red to me!
Last Edit: 2 months 4 days ago by John P. Petrakis.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 months 4 days ago #9143 by Curtis Heisey
I am revamping my Upscale Deuces Wild! fleet.

I am reworking the 7.5 in version. I have two bases, 2x38mm and 2x54 mm. Believe me, lots of ground testing this time around. I'm thinking the FB tube got slightly warped and needs a lot of BP to deploy the chute.

I'm also redoing my 4 in version with 2x29mm 4grain bases (the former one was only 3 grain). The bulkheads are 3d printed PETG. I have fins with flanges on them, and they will go into struts on the motor mount.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 months 4 days ago #9144 by Curtis Heisey


Here is a slightly better photo
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

  • Frank DeAngelo
  • Frank DeAngelo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
2 months 3 days ago #9146 by Frank DeAngelo
That's a lot of work.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

  • John P. Petrakis
  • John P. Petrakis's Avatar
  • Away
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #9169 by John P. Petrakis
My 1997 purchased Aerotech Astrobee D has had it's LAST components glued on. It's painted and ready for decal application. I'll hopefully give it a dullcote once-over later in the week when warmer. I'm hoping to have it debut in two week in Berwick.

Please Log in to join the conversation.