× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Leviathan Pro Series II Kit

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 9 months ago #9059 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Leviathan Pro Series II Kit
Does anyone that is attending the July 21st Berwick launch have a single use F engine they can sell me? Even a black powder engine will do. If you aren't going and live somewhere near Revere I'll drive to your home. I'm not able to get the Aero Pack retainer in time. If the RSO allows it I will tape the engine to the motor tube.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #9060 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic Leviathan Pro Series II Kit
24 or 29mm? Delay needed?

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 9 months ago #9061 by deangelo54
The Leviathan has a 29mm motor tube. I think either a 4 or 6 second delay would be good. I haven't fully assembled the rocket yet so I haven't weighted it. I'm sure it will come in heavier than what Estes lists it as because I used epoxy and did inner as well as outer fin fillets. Rocketreviews has it as 17.5 ounces. www.rocketreviews.com/estes---leviathon.html

I painted the booster section, NC and part of the top body tube last night so it is ready to go. No more gluing required, just minor assembly.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #9062 by deangelo54
Fully assembled and ready to fly, sort of. I did some testing and the only way this can fly without an engine retainer is on a single use motor taped to the MMT tube. I even tried a 24mm motor with an adapter I built. The adapter came out great but tape will not hold it in place. An Aero Pack retainer is the way to go. In time I will get some tape or pin striping and do it up in the official Leviathan color scheme.
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by deangelo54.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 9 months ago #9069 by deangelo54
Kenn, Guy and even Linda cured me of Go Fever at the July 21st launch. I'm glad they did. Why take a chance of wrecking a kit that I spent so much time planing, designing (OK I stole the design from Estes), building and even painting. Not to mention the dangers of going ballistic.
I did get the Aero Pack retainer and actually read the instructions. It says to clean the inside grooved area with acetone or lacquer thinner and specifically states NOT to use alcohol. Why do you suppose they don't want you to use alcohol? When I built my Torrent I went to the local body shop and got some lacquer thinner and the guy said I can use alcohol. He runs a great shop but is not familiar with rocketry.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 9 months ago #9070 by deangelo54
I contacted Aero Pack. They said "That applies to using JB Weld. If you don't have lacquer thinner or acetone then you can use Isopropyl Alcohol for cleanup. Just don't use it to thin JB Weld.
If you need to thin JB Weld then use only lacquer thinner or acetone as it
is compatible with the solvents in JB Weld.