× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Project Torrent

• Frank DeAngelo
  • Frank DeAngelo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
9 months 1 week ago - 9 months 1 week ago #8824 by Frank DeAngelo
I haven't had any luck with local Ace or True Value hardware stores. I looked around the web and found a site that looks interesting. This link compares three different eye bolts. There are three 1/4 x 20 one inch eye bolts that look good. That's the same size that comes with the Torrent kits. The work load limit is 500 pounds. What do you think?

www.fastenal.com/products?r=~%7Csattr01:...1/4%22$%7C~&pageno=1
Last Edit: 9 months 1 week ago by Frank DeAngelo.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Frank DeAngelo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
9 months 1 week ago #8828 by Frank DeAngelo
After striking out at the big box and local Ace stores I ordered closed eye bolts online from Granger. I feel better with those than with split eye bolts sealed with J-B Weld.

More
9 months 1 week ago #8829 by Guy Wadsworth
Sounds like a good move. I was at Tractor Supply today (as well as my local True Value) and they both had forged eye bolts.

• Frank DeAngelo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
9 months 1 week ago - 9 months 1 week ago #8830 by Frank DeAngelo
The forged eye bolts I purchased oneline from Granger are close in size to those that come with the Torrent kit. Both are 1/4 x 20 with a one inch threaded shoulder. Good to know that you have access to forged eye bolts in case I need them for a future project. Thanks for the information. What city is your True Value store located?
Last Edit: 9 months 1 week ago by Frank DeAngelo.

• Frank DeAngelo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
9 months 1 day ago - 9 months 8 hours ago #8843 by Frank DeAngelo
Forged eye bolt installed on the forward CR. CR epoxyed to the MMT. MMT installed with the help of Linda. With the use of a 1/4 quick link I am able to install the shock cord after the MMT has been installed. Up and coming steps:
Install the rail buttons
Fins
Aft CR
Engine retainer
Ebay
Paint (I should subcontract this step to Tony V.)

Any suggestions or recommendations are welcome.
Last Edit: 9 months 8 hours ago by Frank DeAngelo.

More
9 months 13 hours ago #8845 by Sam Fineberg
I have had good luck with U Bolts. They take up a bit more space, so won't work on smaller centering rings, but they work fine (and if they pull out of the ring, you have bigger problems). That said, I bought a large supply of forged rings in 1/4" a while back, www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Eyebolt-4XLJ2 . They were much cheaper in bulk, and 5 years later I still have a bunch :-)

Sam