× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

08 July 2017 Launch in Acton

More
6 years 9 months ago #8667 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic 08 July 2017 Launch in Acton
At this point the replacement for the rocket that landed in the wires is almost complete. All that is left to do is adhere the launch lugs, the aft centering ring and the Estes 24 mm engine retainer. At this time the nose cone and transition are plastic but I have balsa parts on order from FlisKits. It will fly in Berwick on the 15th if we have a launch. If not then then the 29th in Berwick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #8668 by deangelo54
The replacement scratch built rocket was completed Friday night ready to fly in Berwick. Alas the launch was scrubbed due to low cloud cover. This time I documented most of the key elements of the build in case someone is interested in building a replica. I imagine it would look way better if I painted it.

More
6 years 8 months ago #8673 by deangelo54
Mission Accomplished. The rocket flew early in the day in Acton when there was zero wind. I used a C11-5. Good flight and recovery. I used a plastic NC and transition for the launch. On Saturday I took delivery of balsa parts from Jim Flis. I'll try it on a D12-5 in Berwick. Anyone interested in the plans let me know.

More
6 years 8 months ago #8681 by deangelo54
The Scratch Built Rocket known as the Nick Vitale II flew in Berwick on a D12-5. It flew straight and true. Recovery was with a 15 inch chute that came with Sal's Onyx. The rocket only weighs 4 ounces. It had a good decent rate with the 15 inch chute. The kit has an optional 18 inch BT60 with a balsa NC which can be used instead of the 18 inch BT55 upper section. I'll try flying it with the optional top section in either Amesbury or Berwick.