× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

What are you working on in the Winter of 2017

More
7 years 21 hours ago #8560 by Boris Katan
Replied by Boris Katan on topic What are you working on in the Winter of 2017
Rocketry Forum thread on my projects for LDRS.

10 days and counting...

Two speed projects (Mach 2+), two classic spinners, plus two enthusiastically clustered and staged :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 hours ago #8561 by davisolzoe
Replied by davisolzoe on topic What are you working on in the Winter of 2017
Please bring back the two-stage 70'ish engine cluster HELLBOY for a CMASS Launch this year!

More
6 years 11 months ago #8563 by Boris Katan
Replied by Boris Katan on topic What are you working on in the Winter of 2017
I definitely want to do that flight again at a CMASS launch.
If LDRS 2017 gets as much rain as the previous LDRS on the East coast, that could be sooner rather than later.

With 51x C11 first stage to 19x D11-P second stage, the flight is "resource intensive".

More
6 years 11 months ago #8564 by BDB
Rocketpoxy is awesome! I had only made fillets with Titebond M&T or with Bob Smith epoxy before finding Rocketpoxy; there really is no comparison. It's a little pricey, but it is great to work with. It is really thick, so you have to mix it and then spread it out on piece of scrap cardboard or a paper plate. I let it sit for 20-30 min to get rid of bubbles, then I gob it onto the fillet area and, after settling for a few minutes, I shape the fillet with a plastic spoon. (Lots of people use a small piece of PVC, but I think a spoon works way better.) It should make a nice smooth fillet with little or no sanding required.

I show a little bit about how I did my first Rocketpoxy fillets in post #34 of this thread:
www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?130...annosaur-Build/page2

More
6 years 11 months ago #8569 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic What are you working on in the Winter of 2017
Thanks for getting back to me about fillets. I completed my last set on the Executioner last night. I use plain old 30 minute epoxy. I mask off the body and fin then make a tape damm at the top and end of the fin. Using a spoon is the same method a friend of mines from MIT uses so you are in good company. Tonight I will do fillets for the launch lug and then the Executioner is flight worthy. With the weather we have had I don't know if I will even have the chance to prime it. Just over two weeks before the Berwick, Maine April 15, 2017 launch.