Estes Newest Mercury Redstone (1921) - Gus or Alan's

• TimDawson
  • TimDawson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
2 years 8 months ago #10584 by TimDawson
I've built a few Mercury Redstone's in the past, and they were always Alan Shepard's "Freedom 7".  I see this new one from Estes (Kit 1921) is suppose to be Gus Grissom's "Liberty Bell 7".  Unfortunately, all Estes did was change the decal set.  They did not re-tool the mold for the capsule.  Liberty Bell 7's window was square, where as the one on Freedom 7 was round (like the capsule in the kit).  As a stickler to detail and authenticity, I guess I'll be painting "Freedom 7" on my kit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #10586 by DeltaVee

I've built a few Mercury Redstone's in the past, and they were always Alan Shepard's "Freedom 7".  I see this new one from Estes (Kit 1921) is suppose to be Gus Grissom's "Liberty Bell 7".  Unfortunately, all Estes did was change the decal set.  They did not re-tool the mold for the capsule.  Liberty Bell 7's window was square, where as the one on Freedom 7 was round (like the capsule in the kit).  As a stickler to detail and authenticity, I guess I'll be painting "Freedom 7" on my kit.

They did the exact same thing when the released the Mercury Atlas... I guess the molds aren't cheap to make!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.