New field possibility

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #10247 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic New field possibility
I think it would help to mention that college students would be using the property. BUT, college teams should only be allowed to launch under the supervision of a NAR section during club launches. It has been our experience that some college teams do not always follow the NAR high power safety code or make the best decisions on what configurations to launch or not launch. It got to the point last year where myself and a few other CMASS members hosted seminars on rocketry safety at local colleges. I still have my Power Point deck if anyone needs it.

I am not trying to be negative, just realistic and practical. I would love to be able to launch high power at a very large field but, I'm not the one that has to drive a trailer from New Hampshire to Halifax or drive there from Amesbury.
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by deangelo54.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #10251 by BDB
Replied by BDB on topic New field possibility
I found the RC club on Facebook tonight. It looks like they recently moved their flying area from the north side of the field (near the solar array) to the east side of the field. I just sent a message to see how they were able to get permission to do that. I’ll tell you if they reply.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GrantW

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #10262 by BDB
Replied by BDB on topic New field possibility
It's been nearly a week since I messaged the Wingbusters RC club, and they haven't responded. If I have time, I'll try to swing by there on the way to the CMASS launch in Amesbury next Saturday. If no one is there, we may have to go through more official channels.
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by BDB.

• GrantW
  • GrantW's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #10771 by GrantW
Replied by GrantW on topic New field possibility
Throughout this year I had almost completely forgotten about this field, and thought there was no way to attain access to it. Over the summer however, I used a website MapGeo.io for my job to find different information about property owners and PO boxes/addresses associated with owners. Recently I had driven by the field (parts of it are currently being mowed), and it made me think to check this website to see if there was an address to send a letter to. After doing some digging, I found this . The property is owned by Haseotes, V S & Sons who also own Cumberland Farms, and the PO box attached for the site is PO Box 8000, CUMBERLAND, RI 02864. If people are still interested in this field for the fall/winter when the field is mowed and has low weeds, maybe we should craft a letter asking for permission to use it? Are people even still interested in the site? I live under 20 minutes from the field so if people want pictures or drone shots of the current state of the field, I'd be happy to drive there and take some.
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by GrantW.

More
2 years 5 months ago #10772 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic New field possibility
Other members can correct me if I am mistaken but I believe this field has come up before in discussions. The Cumberland Farms ownership sounds familiar.
Does anyone recall why this field is not viable?

I hope I am mistaken and thank you for taking the time to look at this field.

More
2 years 5 months ago #10773 by TimDawson
Replied by TimDawson on topic New field possibility
I did a quick search of the site on the web, and the Audubon Society pops up a lot. Maybe the birds have something to do with it.