× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Do we have a 3/16th problem?

• RD-ROX
  • RD-ROX's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 7 months ago #10697 by RD-ROX
Do we have a 3/16th problem? was created by RD-ROX
I should have brought this up here, earlier, but better late than never. I don't fly a lot of rockets that use 3/16ths rods, but that's been slowly changing over the last few launches. In both July and August I experienced launch lug binding - with a number of different rockets - on one of the club's 3/16" rods. Even after a thorough scrub, the rod still seemed to bind. The others that were set up seemed fine. 

In this last launch pad 4 was "the good rod". Pad 6 gave me the binding issue. Has anyone else run into this? I'd be happy to pack my calipers and bring 'em along tomorrow for some testing. Maybe we've got one rod that's just a shade fat? Thoughts? Observations?

--Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #10698 by hgreenblatt
Replied by hgreenblatt on topic Do we have a 3/16th problem?
We have plenty of 3/16 inch rods, but if one of them is binding launch lugs we should definitely identify it and correct the issue if possible or swap it out for a good one.

• RD-ROX
  • RD-ROX's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 7 months ago #10699 by RD-ROX
Replied by RD-ROX on topic Do we have a 3/16th problem?
Great. If I run into the issue again, I'll give folks a heads-up on site.

More
2 years 7 months ago #10700 by TimDawson
Replied by TimDawson on topic Do we have a 3/16th problem?
My Little Joe II had its launch lugs ripped off during launch off of a 3/16 inch rod, and it was right after it was "sanded and cleaned".  So yah, I guess I've had issues with the rod, and since it was being worked on, I suspect it's the rod in question.

More
2 years 7 months ago #10701 by TimDawson
Replied by TimDawson on topic Do we have a 3/16th problem?
I'm sorry, my Little Joe II went off of a 1/4 inch rod.  The lugs coming off was most likely due to using model glue on the lugs instead of epoxy.  Guess the glue could not handle the G's of an E30.