× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Visiting Other Rocket Clubs

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #10585 by deangelo54
Visiting Other Rocket Clubs was created by deangelo54
During the 4th of July weekend, Linda and I headed out to Pine Island, NY to attend a METRA launch. It took us 5.5 hours to complete the 225 mile trip and only 3.5 hours to get home. It is all highway. We stayed at the Days Inn in New Hampton which was the most economical accommodations we could find. Within a short distance, there are a few good places to eat and a cinema. The best was a short ride to Soon's Orchard where they have a very nice restaurant. It is on the same road as the launch site.

As you would expect, the people we met at the launch were very nice, friendly and helpful. The field is a turf farm with very low grass which makes for easy recoveries. The field is made up of grids, separated by irrigation ditches. Wildman Rick was the on field vendor. Rick brings his trailer which is well stocked with engines and everything else you could imagine. I found his prices to be quite reasonable, especially considering no shipping cost or HAZ MAT fee. They also have a food service vendor that serves awesome burgers and hot dogs. Not to mention cold refreshing lemon aid.

We hope to make another trip to a METRA launch before rocket season is over. I look forward to attending at least one METRA launch per year. 

Check out their website at metrarocketclub.org or let me know if you have any questions.
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by deangelo54.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.