× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

The 04/24/2021 Amesbury Launch...

• truckmen
  • truckmen's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 11 months ago #10449 by truckmen
The 04/24/2021 Amesbury Launch... was created by truckmen
Hello all!

Just wanted to say it was a wonderful pleasure to attend this, my very first launch and although I did not have something to fly, I had a great time watching others and meeting many who were kind enough to put up with my questions and silly war stories. I learned a lot and am delighted with how friendly and outgoing AND supportive of my desire to participate in the near future. I hope I didn't get into anyone's way. 

Thank you to Tom for sharing with me experiences with his rocket he had lost and then accidentally finding it in a tree on an island on Lake Winnipesaukee a whole 6 years later. 

A big Shout-out to Scott (I think that is your name) originally from NYC who let me go on about trucking. 

Thank you to Brenton of Esther's Engines with "hooking me up" with a motor for my future Level 1 attempt; now, I have most everything needed to begin the build for the certification attempt. 

Hey, to the folks in charge. I would be delighted to help in any way in setting up and taking down as soon as I know enough to be productive.  

I took a bunch of photos and tried out the video feature of my Note 8 and would like to know if I would be allowed to share them here and/or on Facebook. 

One more thing, I found an old Jolly logic chute release that looks like to weathered at least one winter in the field. If you've lost one there near the launch area, let me know and I can get it back to you next time we all meet. It looks kinda "iffy" but who knows, it may still function. 

Looking forward to meeting up with you all again soon. 

Ralph
The following user(s) said Thank You: RetroRocketGuy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #10450 by hgreenblatt
Replied by hgreenblatt on topic The 04/24/2021 Amesbury Launch...
Hi Ralph,

Glad you had a great time at the launch. Thanks so much for your offer to help setting up and tearing down the range. The more people we have, the faster it goes and the more we get to launch.

Please feel free to upload your images to the Gallery here. There is a 2mb size limit for each of the files so you may have to make them smaller before uploading them. Just go to the Gallery page on the website and click on the User Panel in the upper left. Then click the upload button. You can email me directly at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., or post questions here if you run into any issues.

Looking forward to meeting you at one of the upcoming launches.

- Howard
The following user(s) said Thank You: truckmen

More
2 years 11 months ago #10451 by RetroRocketGuy
Replied by RetroRocketGuy on topic The 04/24/2021 Amesbury Launch...
Nice! Now that you've gotten a feel of it, I hope to see you cook up some cool stuff as well!

More
2 years 11 months ago #10452 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic The 04/24/2021 Amesbury Launch...
Hi Ralph. What kit are you building for your level 1 certification flight?
Best wishes for success.

• truckmen
  • truckmen's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 11 months ago #10454 by truckmen
Replied by truckmen on topic The 04/24/2021 Amesbury Launch...
I think I'm going to design something around the Aerotech 38mm H/I motor. I'll be doing a lot of simming before it gets slid down the rail. I have a name for this first Level 1 airframe. I can say no more at the moment. But I have to start hurrying to be ready first Geneseo in July.

• RHobbs1
  • Away
More
2 years 11 months ago #10499 by RHobbs1
Replied by RHobbs1 on topic The 04/24/2021 Amesbury Launch...
Greetings all,
Apologies for my belated reply. I'm njist now figuring out how to use this forum.
I also want to thank the club for putting on a great event. This was.my first launch since joining the club and.my first club launch ever. I'm getting.back into the hobby, I first became a.model rocketeer way back in 1970.
I had a great time! I'd forgotten how much fun this is, and how.much I loved the smell of burnt propellant after a successful launch and recovery. And speaking of recovery, I almost lost my Alpha III when it got caught in a thermal and drifted all the way to the end of the cul-de-sac on top of the hill. The first time I went looking for it, I didn't find it, then I got a tip from some local residents who saw it land and so I found it on the second try. I'd also forgotten how high even a small rocket can go. My Mini-Bertha surprised the heck out me on an A3-4T!
I'll be sticking with low power stuff for the time being, give myself a chance to redevelop my skills. And I am planning to be at the next launch, hoping to have a couple of new rockets ready.
Going forward, I'd like to learn more about your launch control system I'm an electronic tech by occupation, so the setup intrigues me. Please keep me.in mind for lending a hand with any possible future repairs or upgrades. Not that I'm complaining about what you have- I went five for five with no misfires.
So, once again, thanks for a truly.fun experience. Made me.feel like the space-happy kid I was back when. Hoping to see you all at the next launch!
Rick