× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

NORG 3rd YEAR W/O FIELD -- PARK RENOVATIONS!

More
3 years 1 week ago #10403 by Niteowl67
   On March 3rd NORG sent off it's Park Permit request for two launch dates this Fall 2021 with the City of Salem's Park & Rec for use of the Gallows Hill Park.  We were contacted by their Facilities Manager by phone on March 15th and informed that the project was not completed.  There need to be "grading of field" but more importantly a "reseeding of the grass" and that was "best done in the Fall".  Therefore, the requested dates were "unavailable" and we should try again next year!"

You may ask, "Why not search for a field location elsewhere?'  That was attempted in 2019 when we 1st learned the Gallows Hill Park was closing July 1st.  It continued until March 2020 when the Pandemic hit.  Given the lack of receptivity in pursuing that option up until June 2020; it is best we wait until March 2022 to try again with the City of Salem, MA

Sincerely,

Joseph N. Majahad, Representative
Nite Owl Rocketry Gild (#799)
PO Box 855, Salem, MA  01970

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 week ago #10404 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic NORG 3rd YEAR W/O FIELD -- PARK RENOVATIONS!
Hi Joe,

Sorry that your home field is not available. We always look forward to the November joint launch. The Acton field should be available at night all year long.

More
3 years 1 week ago #10405 by Niteowl67
Replied by Niteowl67 on topic NORG 3rd YEAR W/O FIELD -- PARK RENOVATIONS!
Hello Frank,

Thanks for the suggestion! If it was just about launching rockets then I would do that but there are other considerations: 1) I don't have a car presently and Acton is a bit of commute from Salem; 2) It's about "Section Building", Acton is CMASS' back-up field and NORG needs to get one of it's own which would much easier when the Pandemic is over; and 3) I've been putting off some elective surgery and this would be a good time to do it. However, I would appreciate having you (or any other fellow CMASS member) show up at NORG's next Salem Event (Hopefully in 2022!).

Sincerely,

Joe Majahad, Representative
NORG (NAR #799)

More
2 years 6 months ago #10724 by Niteowl67
NORG INVITE – JOINT CMASS/NORG EVENT

The only NORG Event of this year is a joint event with CMASS. Some of you may be aware of field availability issues with our home field due to renovations by the City of Salem’s Park & Rec Dept. I’ll briefly discuss that a bit later here, but for now, I officially invite NORG and CMASS members to the Joint Night Launch at CMASS’ last event day of the year in Amesbury, MA. This will be Saturday November 20th and the sunset time for that day is 4:16 PM. Please go to CMASS website and read “COVID-19 restrictions” found at top of the Home Page and follow rules accordingly.

Back on March 17th I last commented on The Gallows Hill Park and that we’re in the 3rd year in a row the park has been unavailable due to renovations. The park has made many improvements but one of the troubling developments is storm water runoff mitigation which has created 3 areas of depressions adjacent to the expanded parking lot and additional asphalt paved pathways. Sad to say these are unfriendly developments for being a rocket friendly field. There’s enough water that there is a risk for “splash down” and I have concerns for mosquitos given that nite flite is a heavily “dusk centered” event. I only would attempt events during cold weather months where there is a hard freeze or snowy field without standing water perhaps calling it a “Snowy Owl Event”. Alternate fields are being explored for use locally.

Lastly NORG membership issues, for those who have joined NORG recently please get in touch with me to confirm (if you are an NAR Member) that you have listed NORG #799 on your account w/NAR website. Also past members do the same and let me know if NORG is your primary or secondary listing. For those who would like to join (FREE MEMBERSHIP) during the Joint Launch then I will be available ½ hour before sunset at Amesbury with a sign up sheet. Best wishes all and stay safe on and off the field.

Sincerely,

Joseph N. Majahad, Representative
Nite Owl Rocketry Gild (#799)
PO Box 855, Salem, MA 01970

More
2 years 4 months ago #10851 by Niteowl67
Joint CMASS/NORG Weather Decision, COVID, & NORG Biz

WEATHER: Looks good for Saturday November 20th in Amesbury. Channels 4, 5, 7, & NBC 10 daytime temps in Mid to High 40's while Low 30's at night (Ch. 4 High 20's). Overall bright and dry but cold.

COVID-19: Follow CMASS COVID 19 PRECAUTIONS found at top of website home page. I'll have a few extra contact tracing forms handy.

NORG CLUB BUSINESS: I'll have the NORG Sign-UP Sheet for anyone who wishes to join NORG (membership still free). You can find me next to Large Lighted LED NORG Launch Pad (not for launches but visibility). Any NORG members present let's do a quick Field Vote to continue having me run the club. Enjoy!