× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Loose CR's

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #10366 by deangelo54
Loose CR's was created by deangelo54
The CR's that came with my Eradicator kit fit loosely on the MMT tube and inside both body tubes.
My post on TRF resulted in two suggestions:
"Use epoxy, go for it." Interesting response.
A few people suggested using white glue to glue a strip of paper around the MMT tube and do the same to the  outside of the the CR. Let it dry, then install the MMT into the body tube.
I was wondering if any of you ever had this problem and how you delt with it. 

Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by KennB.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #10367 by curtisheisey
Replied by curtisheisey on topic Loose CR's
Cardboard or wood?

I would probably procure a replacement set.

If you are in a hurry, you can always lay a piece of twine or 1/8 multistrand thread/kevlar, ec. around the joint where the expoxy goes as a reinforcement. You can also add some very fine glass beads to the expoy (but be warned it dries faster with this) to increase strength.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 2 months ago #10368 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Loose CR's
The CR's are 1/8 wood. I reached out to Sirius about the loose fit. I didn't come right out and ask for a replacement. I'm getting softer in my old age. They are a small company so I let it go.
At Tuesday's meeting, several people mentioned gluing a 1/8 wide piece of paper around the OD of the ring using white glue because white absorbs better than brown glue. For the loose fit around the MMT tube, it was suggested that I also glue paper.
I'm not in any hurry so I may just buy some CR's from Apogee or BMS when I buy a few other items. At least with a tight fit I can always sand it down to size. Thanks for the response.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 2 months ago #10383 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Loose CR's
At Tuesday's (2-16-21) CMASS meeting, several members strongly suggested that I use white glue to adhere paper to the motor mount tube in order to take up the slack on the loose fitting CR's. I glued the paper, did some test fitting and it looks like this is going to work. Thank you all for your recommendations and explanation on how to do it properly. I'm excited about moving forward with the build.

After telling a long time friend of mine how friendly and helpful rocketeers are, he may be interested in taking up our hobby. He was seriously involved with RC planes but was eventually discouraged with the attitudes of club leadership and turned in his wings. Rob has excelled in anything he has ever been involved in. When I raced motorcycles, he was a key member of our crew.