× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Acton launch on Friday AM? (08/28/20)

• guyw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 7 months ago #10083 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic Acton launch on Friday AM? (08/28/20)
If your controller still has issues and you need someone to check it out and possibly repair it, bring it along and I will take a look at it.

Guy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #10084 by MALBAR70
Replied by MALBAR70 on topic Acton launch on Friday AM? (08/28/20)
Thanks Guy. I'll bring it along.

• guyw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 6 months ago #10086 by guyw
Mike,

I checked out your controller. I replaced the cigarette lighter plug with one of the ones I had, and added an external fuse holder and fuse. The beeper is functional. One of the screws holding it in and making electrical contact had stripped out, so I hot glued it back in place and that seems to have fixed the problem. Will have it with me Saturday.

Guy.

• guyw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 6 months ago #10087 by guyw
Todd,

Your controller in general checked out OK. I replaced the alligator clips with brandy new stainless steel clips as the old ones were looking pretty sad. The real issue is that the battery is putting out 1.2v rather than 12v.

The controller seems to work just fine if it gets enough voltage, and both beepers (continuity and fire indications) are working. I will put the battery on one of may smart chargers and see what it will do, but the label says 1997 as the date it was originally tested. Not too surprising that a 23 year old battery pack may have gone belly up.

Guy.

• tlainhart
  • tlainhart's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 6 months ago #10088 by tlainhart
Replied by tlainhart on topic Acton launch on Friday AM? (08/28/20)
Thanks very much, Guy, for checking it out and putting in new clips. I thought that the battery checked out, but I’m guessing it was just for a heartbeat - enough for me to suspect a short with the intermittent behaviors.

I guess I’m now a candidate for technical support to ask me “are you sure that it’s plugged in?”

• guyw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 6 months ago #10089 by guyw
Todd,

None of my smart chargers would even detect it as a battery. They indicate no connection. I have placed a 2 amp dumb car battery charger on it and it at least shows a charge of 2 amps, I will check on it later. It is possible that the dumb charger will charge it enough so that my smart charger with repair will at least recognize it as a battery. If it does, I will try repairing it. Not holding out much hope though. Probably time to invest in a new battery.

Guy.