× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

The Bandits Strike Again

More
3 years 9 months ago #9949 by curtisheisey
Replied by curtisheisey on topic The Bandits Strike Again
Howard, Jim Salem and myself made it to Acton yesterday afternoon. We were keeping our fingers crossed on the thunderstorm forecast. A black cloud came and went, and it turned into a spectacular day. I got some shots with the camera trigger, which I posted in the "Bandit" gallery on page 17 and 18.

www.cmass.org/index.php?view=category&ca...=70&page=17#category

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #9950 by hgreenblatt
Replied by hgreenblatt on topic The Bandits Strike Again
We also found a rocket in the field across school st. It's in pretty good shape with one fin popped off. US Army Decal. It went through at least one rain but it's not too bad. PM me if it belongs to you.

More
3 years 9 months ago #9953 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic The Bandits Strike Again
If you found the rocket on the ground in the field, it is not mine. I was in Acton in the early part of the day from about 9:30 AM to 11:30 AM. I launched a Red Nova with the pad located next to the road. It flew over the farm area then started drifting toward the field. Then the wind shifted toward the house with the chickens. It looked like it would land in the field behind the house but was then captured by one of the power lines. In addition to a chute it also had a very long streamer.

More
3 years 9 months ago #9974 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic The Bandits Strike Again
The bandits made it to acton again this weekend, there was a breeze blowing toward Rt. 2 in the direction of school street so the good news was that things stayed away from the woods and the adjacent field was mowed evidently. Anthing that may have landed in the tall grass that was there is probably now in the middle of some hay bale waiting to get consumed by livestock.

Turnout today (being around 90 or so degrees) was light. Just three scofflaws were there.

A few notworthy events: Franks' new medium power home-made pad made its debut. Formed from parts of PvC piping (a-la the late great prat hobbies mid-power pad) It can accommodate multiple rod sizes up to 1/4". It handled my 25oz + HV-Arcas fabulously. An excellent pad with top level craftsmanship on Franks' part!

My Estes Phoenix on an E20 went straight up and drifted (by google map estimates) around 1200 feet to the Northeast, landing about 50-100 feet shy of route 2! Fortunately no change of clothing required.

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #9975 by deangelo54
John provided me with technical advice during the design phase which was very helpful. I am happy to see that the pad works well.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by deangelo54.

More
3 years 9 months ago #9976 by deangelo54
Frank and John stand by the pad moments before being used for its first launch
Attachments: