× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Winter Follies 2020

• KennB
  • KennB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 3 months ago #9794 by KennB
Winter Follies 2020 was created by KennB
The earliest date for our Acton Winter Follies launch in 2020 is Saturday, 11 January. As we have been doing for a couple of years, the final call on launching that day will be made on the Wednesday before; keep an eye on the club website.

If the weather looks too bad for that day, we have the flexibility to postpone the launch to the Sunday of that weekend or to a day on another weekend in January.

As always, Acton is a low- and mid-power field only; no high-power motors and no sparkies. Set-up will be scheduled for 9:45 AM. We'll likely use a smaller number of pads set up on sawhorses as the ground will be even harder to pound our usual stakes into. There won't be any launch fee but we may use launch cards if the conditons allow.

This is typically a short duration launch shutting down in the early afternoon so hot dogs will not be available. There will be the usual debriefing at an area restaurant after we pack up the trailer; you are welcome to attend.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KennB
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #9799 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Winter Follies 2020
The wind may not be great but the temperature won't be bad. The rain has all but disappeared from the forecast so we're going to go ahead with our Winter Follies on 11 January.

The wind will be strong all day with gusts that will shut us down waiting for a lull. We'll set up at the end of the field farther from Route 2 to maximize our recovery area. You should plan on launching only low level flights (saucers would be a great idea) and using small chutes or streamers. Bigger, heavier stuff will come down sooner where an Estes Alpha may drift an amazing distance.

Of course, our goal is to recover on the field. We definitely don't want anything going as far as Route 2. We've got a good relationship with the Acton Park/Rec crew and we don't want to give them any reason to transfer our summer dates to the cricketeers.

BTW, our 2020 schedule is now available at the link in the Launch Status box at the top of the home page. The links haven't been updated for this year's events yet but that will be taken care of soon.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by KennB.

• KennB
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 3 months ago #9802 by KennB
I received this email today:

Hi Kenn!

This is Ray and I am planning to attend the launch tomorrow as FlisKits. I will bring what I have, however can only take cash and PayPal. People can put an order in online and I will refund the shipping on the field in cash.

Unfortunately, will not be able to stay for the eating event afterwards.

Ray

Get your orders in on the website and/or do some shopping at the launch.

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #9803 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Winter Follies 2020
A good time was had by all who attended the 2020 Winter Follies. Even though it was windy, in fact very windy at times, the temperatures where in the mid 60's.
There was a very good showing of spectators and fliers.

I'll take wind with high temperatures over temperatures in the 20's any day. In fact I think most people would prefer Saturday's weather over the hot and humid Acton launches in July.

If I remember correctly, only one rocket was lost. It was small rocket with a C6 engine.

I would rate this as one of the best Winter Follies ever.

The post flight debriefing was held at Not Your Average Joe's in Action.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by deangelo54.

More
4 years 3 months ago #9804 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic Winter Follies 2020
I know *I* had a nice time!

• KennB
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 3 months ago #9805 by KennB
The gallery is open for uploading your photos from this launch.