× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Rocketry by the Numbers

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #9728 by deangelo54
Rocketry by the Numbers was created by deangelo54
In August of 2015 I over heard Howard suggesting to college students that they keep a log of their launches. Howard said the information is useful and it's fun. Since then I have been documenting each of my launches in a notebook. I have enough pages in book two for one more launch.

Last Saturday I summarized all the launches I attended by location and by what engines I used. Come to find out that I have launched 118 rockets at club launches and another 9 at a field in Peabody. Of the 127 launches, 118 were black powder and 9 were E or F composite engines. The engine I used the most was 38 of the Estes C11-5. In second place was 29 B6-4's followed by 20 A8-3's.

I was wondering if anyone else in the club documents their launch data? I find it very helpful when it comes to what engine, delay or chute to use. The information is also helpful when it comes to designing scratch built rockets.
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by deangelo54.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #9729 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic Rocketry by the Numbers
I guess I'll have to get a notebook...

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 5 months ago #9730 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Rocketry by the Numbers
I may have one for you at home.

More
4 years 5 months ago #9731 by curtisheisey
Replied by curtisheisey on topic Rocketry by the Numbers
I see a huge value in logging, especially into seeing patterns, learning and improving. I had kept a log for a number of years, but got off it. Funny you mention it, because I got back on the log in 2019.

In 2019 so far I have made 14 flights, all HPR at LWHPR, URRG, RIMRA and CMASS launches. Thirteen of these were the Upscale Deuce Wild on H or I motors, and the other was my L3 attempt. In three of the Deuce's wild flights, only one motor lit. This one motor statistic is probably more than the previous 6 six years combined. I blame some older blue streak motors on that.

12205 Ns total summed impulse burned to date (The "M" was 9000 of that).

I think the lesson from looking at my data is that I need to dust off some bins and get some low power birds back in play.

More
4 years 5 months ago #9732 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic Rocketry by the Numbers
Notebooks I got! Just have to remember to dig it out of a box somewhere..,..

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 5 months ago #9733 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Rocketry by the Numbers
Funny you should say that. I have been thinking of taking my Level 1 certification rocket out of retirement. Not to mention that my Mad Cow Torrent hasn't flown since May 5th, 2018.

Low and mid power can be a lot of fun. I think your rockets would appreciate it if you take them out for a flight or two.