1 week 4 days ago - 1 week 4 days ago#9728by Frank DeAngelo
In August of 2015 I over heard Howard suggesting to college students that they keep a log of their launches. Howard said the information is useful and it's fun. Since then I have been documenting each of my launches in a notebook. I have enough pages in book two for one more launch.
Last Saturday I summarized all the launches I attended by location and by what engines I used. Come to find out that I have launched 118 rockets at club launches and another 9 at a field in Peabody. Of the 127 launches, 118 were black powder and 9 were E or F composite engines. The engine I used the most was 38 of the Estes C11-5. In second place was 29 B6-4's followed by 20 A8-3's.
I was wondering if anyone else in the club documents their launch data? I find it very helpful when it comes to what engine, delay or chute to use. The information is also helpful when it comes to designing scratch built rockets.
I see a huge value in logging, especially into seeing patterns, learning and improving. I had kept a log for a number of years, but got off it. Funny you mention it, because I got back on the log in 2019.
In 2019 so far I have made 14 flights, all HPR at LWHPR, URRG, RIMRA and CMASS launches. Thirteen of these were the Upscale Deuce Wild on H or I motors, and the other was my L3 attempt. In three of the Deuce's wild flights, only one motor lit. This one motor statistic is probably more than the previous 6 six years combined. I blame some older blue streak motors on that.
12205 Ns total summed impulse burned to date (The "M" was 9000 of that).
I think the lesson from looking at my data is that I need to dust off some bins and get some low power birds back in play.