× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

RIMRA Launch Saturday, June 8, 2019

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 10 months ago #9498 by deangelo54
RIMRA Launch Saturday, June 8, 2019 was created by deangelo54
The conditions were wonderful. Sunny, very clear skies, 75 degrees. It was windy but the wind was blowing toward the far end of the field. Every rocket landed on the field. The hay had recently been mowed so no fear of losing rockets in tall grass. The weeds on the other side of the field were low and very sparse. Even though it was a bit of a hike, there was even a porta pottie.
We are not allowed to drive on the road to the launch site but if you get to the parking lot by 9:00 AM the club will transport your gear for you. If you stay until the end of the launch the club will also transport your gear back to the lot.
The people that attended the launch and run the club are very friendly. They make you feel right at home.
In addition to myself, also in attendance was CMASS favorite John P with some of his nicer rockets.
Most of the flights were low power but there was a fair amount of mid power. There was a launch of a Super DX3 on an H and a L1 certification flight.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #9499 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic RIMRA Launch Saturday, June 8, 2019
Frank is spot on... great weather. Could have been a tad less wind but the setup was as good as it gets and the wind direction was very favorable. Lots of tall grass at the far end though! I walked past where my Ventris landed (containing my altimeter AND reload casing!) and spent 40 minutes walking in the crazy tall grass and clover until Frank flew something else and showed me where my rocket landed!!! However a young fellow named Matt lost his in the tall grass and I'm very glad to report I managed to help him find it!

I didn't get a lot of flights in and the equipment was not up to launching something as big and heavy as my HV arcas or Astrobee D which I brought down but didn't fly. BUT.... they have a VERY good field... and it's logistically challenged (cant drive up and drop off stuff) But they're a great bunch down there. I'll be happy to fly there again weather and schedule permitting.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #9500 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic RIMRA Launch Saturday, June 8, 2019
I have been attending RIMRA and joint CMASS/RIMRA launches since 2014. There is a core group of people that I have come to know since then that are still flying with the club. It's interesting to see how some of the young people have grown in the last five years. As John mentioned, even though the wind was strong, it was blowing in a favorable direction. If I win Power Ball I'm going to buy all that land to be used by RIMRA and CMASS. Maybe I can donate a few millions dollars to URI and ask if we can use the farm as a petting zoo during launches.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by deangelo54.

More
4 years 10 months ago #9501 by BDB
Replied by BDB on topic RIMRA Launch Saturday, June 8, 2019
It was a great day at URI this weekend. Our field is great for LPR, MPR and "low-n-slow" HPR. I'll try to fly something in that latter category next month. Keep playing the Power Ball, Frank!

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 10 months ago #9502 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic RIMRA Launch Saturday, June 8, 2019
I was going to buy up a bunch of land in Revere but Kenn reminded me that where as it would be so close to Logan Airport, we would have a hard time getting the FAA waiver. If I win enough money I guess I can try to buy.