× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Apollo 11 50th Anniversary “Land the Eagle” Competition

More
4 years 8 months ago #9521 by tlainhart
I recently received a purchase from NARTS, and included in that purchase 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place NAR ribbons for this contest, if appropriate. If not appropriate, we can use them for some other local contest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 8 months ago #9525 by deangelo54
Bring them along. In the event that we have a youth and adult division but not enough kits for prizes, we can give the younger winners kits and ribbons for the adults.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 8 months ago #9528 by deangelo54
At the Tuesday CMASS meeting we discussed having a practice Land the Eagle contest during the July 6th launch. This will provide an opportunity for both organizers and contestants to work on the process so that the contest runs smoother for the actual event. This should also give us an idea of how many fliers will participate. Take the opportunity to hone your technique and you could be a winner!

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 8 months ago #9532 by deangelo54
The setup for the practice competition went well. We had a simple setup that covered too small of an area. We had four dowels with red beer cups on top and red rope that Kenn supplied marking off the landing zone. In the middle of the circle we had an American flag. Only one person landed in the circle so for the actual competition we will expand the landing area. Since this was just a practice contest the only prize was a free hot dog, drink and snack. The young person that won does not like hot dogs so we gave him an additional free drink.

More
4 years 8 months ago #9533 by DeltaVee
I was wondering if it would be reasonable to fire a test shot, and then set up the circle at or near where said test landed... or would that make it too easy?

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 8 months ago #9534 by deangelo54
That is a great idea! I can launch something small on a B6-4 and take it from there. NAR is suggesting that the diameter of the circle be 150 feet. That comes out to a circumference of 471 feet. I'll check to see if we have enough rope. If not I'll get more rope or string.

The NAR rules have various engine size and weight restrictions but we are allowing any successful flight to be eligible. We just want the contest to be fun and simple and not to interfere with the ebb and flow of the launches.