× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Apollo 11 50th Anniversary “Land the Eagle” Competition

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #9460 by deangelo54
As many of you know, our July 20th Acton launch falls on the 50th anniversary of the launch of Apollo 11. This was the first manned mission to the moon.

The NAR is encouraging sections to celebrate this historic event. One of the suggested events is the "Land the Eagle" competition. The contest objective is to launch a model rocket and have it land on an area of the launch field representing the moon. The contestant whose rocket lands closest to the ‘Tranquility Base’ target is the winner. For more detailed information see:
www.nar.org/50th-anniversary-of-apollo-11/
www.nar.org/land-the-eagle-rocket-contest/

At the May 7th CMASS meeting it was agreed that CMASS will have this competition. I have been asked to chair the contest committee. I am looking for members to assist me in the preparation, organization and execution of this event. We can use this forum to communicate and perhaps get together at a future CMASS meeting.
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by deangelo54.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #9463 by deangelo54
The post concerning the Estes 200:1 Saturn V moved to a separate topic.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by deangelo54.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 10 months ago #9464 by deangelo54
Just a couple of thoughts about the Land the Eagle contest.
Perhaps we can have a limited practice contest at the July 6th Acton launch so that we can identify any potential problems.

For the contest itself I was thinking about setting up a hula hoop and in the middle, plant a flag as the point where the distances will be measured from.
Does anyone have a hula hoop we can use?

More
4 years 10 months ago #9465 by KennB
I think a hula hoop would be a rather small target (unless that's suggested by the contest). We could set up a larger circle with some rope if there's a scoring system that awards bonus points for that kind of "accuracy".

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 10 months ago #9468 by deangelo54
Suggested rule number 3 is as follows:
The object of the event is to determine whose flight comes closest to reaching the center of a circular 150’-diameter “Moon” marked on the ground.

There really aren't any hard and fast rules such as with TARC. Sections can more or less develop their own rules which best suits their particular club.

I guess a hula hoop covers a rather small area. I'm sure we can come up with a better method of marking out an area that represents the Moon. I was wondering if we could use that white power that is used to mark lines on soccer and baseball fields?

More
4 years 10 months ago #9469 by guyw
The white powder, if you are talking about the legal white powder on athaletic fields, is ground/powdered lime. Available at any garden/hardware/box store.