× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Apollo 11 Movie Review

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 weeks ago - 5 years 2 weeks ago #9394 by deangelo54
Apollo 11 Movie Review was created by deangelo54
Not long ago we had First Man and now we have Apollo 11. These movies are a result of the upcoming 50th anniversary of the first maned moon mission. The format of First Man was more of a conventional movie. Apollo 11 consisted of all actual footage from 1969. It takes you as a spectator on man kinds most incredible journey. It starts with a news cast narrated by Walter Conkite, who was in my opinion, the voice of America. It continues with announcements from NASA officials and dialog between Mission Control personal among themselves and the crew of Apollo 11. The movie more or less moves in real time. Of course it skips ahead at various times or we would be sitting in the the theater for 8 days.

The footage of the launch is breathtaking. With the sound system at the Show Case Cinema you can feel the launch. The footage from the USS Hornet during the recovery phase of the mission was also amazing. The only complaint is that the text giving time and speed readouts should have been bigger.

All in all this movie does not take any artistic license. For you old time space program junkies this is a must see adventure. It was fun trying to identify some of the iconic personal from mission control such as John Arron and of course Gene Kranz. The Apollo program was indeed a Giant Leap for Mankind.
Last edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by deangelo54.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 days ago #9407 by Parrythewind
Replied by Parrythewind on topic Apollo 11 Movie Review
Thanks Frank for this review. I will put it at the top of the list,..

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 3 days ago #9408 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Apollo 11 Movie Review
Thanks for reading it. I'm up to 88 reviews! Seriously, I did enjoy the movie.

More
4 years 11 months ago #9419 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic Apollo 11 Movie Review
Saw the movie in Waltham yesterday... a great way to spend an afternoon!

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #9421 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Apollo 11 Movie Review
I hope there wasn't anything in my review that spoiled the ending. Netflix has a movie titled Apollo 18. I will watch it unless it is one of those movies that has aliens living on the moon. I remember seeing a very old Man on the Moon movie that looks like it was done in the 1930's. I think it was based on a Jules Verne book.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by deangelo54.

More
4 years 11 months ago #9422 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic Apollo 11 Movie Review
Apollo 18's catch line is: "The real reason we didn't go back to the moon". Although I never saw it, I'd be willing to bet it's a pretty dumb horror movie.