× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

The New Apogee Zephyr

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 3 months ago #9339 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic The New Apogee Zephyr
That is one NICE rocket. What is the diameter and length? Will you be flying it come spring time?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #9342 by tlainhart
Replied by tlainhart on topic The New Apogee Zephyr
I think that it's a 2.6" body tube, and around 44" in length. It doesn't use the standard NCR gorilla lock MM, or whatever it was called, so the motor has to be taped in. So I can fly it at launches that allow that.

I have flown it at Amesbury. I believe its last launch was when a strong wind caught the model just as the motor lit, and tore the launch lugs free from the BT. It scittered about the ground like a wounded rat. Sad, pathetic, and humorous at the same time.

NCR by Estes made some great kits - but pricey, even for then. Otherwise I would have bought more, like the Bomarc, Archer, and X-Wing Fighter. Whoa be to the person that didn't retrofit with a 29mm MMT though.

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 3 months ago #9343 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic The New Apogee Zephyr
If you have enough of the 29mm MMT sticking out you can install an Estes plastic motor retainer. Off hand I think you only need about 3/8 available. I'll check when I get home tonight and update this post if needed. If you come to the meeting on Tuesday or the Winter Follies I can bring one for you to test fit.

More
5 years 3 months ago #9345 by tlainhart
Replied by tlainhart on topic The New Apogee Zephyr

If you have enough of the 29mm MMT sticking out you can install an Estes plastic motor retainer. Off hand I think you only need about 3/8 available. I'll check when I get home tonight and update this post if needed. If you come to the meeting on Tuesday or the Winter Follies I can bring one for you to test fit.

Great idea, and thanks for the offering, but there's not enough of the MMT sticking out - an 1/8th at most.

As well, it would interfere visually with the cool aesthetics of the tail shroud. :)