× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Rail Buttons on a BT-60

• tlainhart
  • tlainhart's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 4 months ago #9190 by tlainhart
Rail Buttons on a BT-60 was created by tlainhart
I'll probably build an Estes Extreme-12 over the winter, which is a 2-stage E12-based rocket. Because of its weight, I'd like to try some rail buttons (which I've never used).

Typically rail buttons are mounted TTW, and so I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to secure a nut deep into the body tube. Anyone have experience here?

An alternative is to use surface-mount guides, as in:

www.apogeerockets.com/Building-Supplies/...niversal-Rail-Guides

-- Todd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #9191 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic Rail Buttons on a BT-60
One technique I have used is to loosely tape the nut to a sufficiently long flat stick of wood, and turn the screw from the outside to secure it. Then a dab of epoxy to to make sure it stays.

Guy
The following user(s) said Thank You: tlainhart

More
5 years 4 months ago #9192 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic Rail Buttons on a BT-60
I would think if you drilled a hole in the tube, then in a JT-60C (cut in two for the two rail guides), secured the nut to the inside of the JT-60C, lined up the holes.... Perahps a bit more complext but then you'd have additional tube strength (thought this one up last night). Of course you'd have to place the couplers inside the tube prior to the motor mount etc.

More
5 years 4 months ago #9196 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Rail Buttons on a BT-60
As interesting as JP's method is I have done this in the past using Guy's methodology. What I do when possible is to insert a spare tube coupler into the body tube under the area where I am drilling. This gives the BT some support. I usually start with a very small bit and work up the the final size. After drilling I use some CA and let it wick around the hole to give it strength. You can then work the bit by hand to make sure the hole is cleaned out. I use blue thread lock when securing the screw into the flange. I'm sure everyone has their own little touch when performing this task. BTW no rod whip with rails.

• tlainhart
  • tlainhart's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 4 months ago #9198 by tlainhart
Replied by tlainhart on topic Rail Buttons on a BT-60
> BTW no rod whip with rails.

Right. I have a feeling that with this particular rocket, I'm going to get rod whip, so I want to give it as much stability support as I can.

More
5 years 4 months ago #9199 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Rail Buttons on a BT-60
One time I launched a rocket that has a 3/16 launch lug on a 1/8 rod because I was too lazy to change it out. The rod whip caused the rocket's trajectory to head toward the high brush. Fortunately I was able to find it.

I know that the MARS rocketry club out of Geneso, NY does not allow 1/4" rods depending on the size of the rocket and the engine. Anything mid power I use rail buttons.