× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Where to you get your composite engines?

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 5 months ago #9150 by deangelo54
Where to you get your composite engines? was created by deangelo54
As you know, single use composite engines from Aerotech have been hard to find this year. When they are available the prices are significantly higher than last year. I compared some of my invoices from this year to last year and in some cases the prices are over 30% higher. How I long for Road Runner engines.

When you run the numbers it is cheaper to use reloads. Not to mention the CTI reloads are kind of fun to prepare. In addition to an order from Animal works, I ordered several Estes branded E30 and F26 engines from AC Supply. I ordered enough of them so that when you prorate the $33.00 hazmat fee, your per engine price is reasonable. The largest composite single use engine they have is the G40-7. Since the Estes branded engines do not come with ignitors, you have to purchase the four pack of Sonic ignitors. In the past, the Sonic ignitors were horrible. I noticed that they have more pyrogen on them then in the past and they actually work now!

AC Supply has the best prices on black powder engines so if you include a few C11 and D12's in your composite engine order you are doing well price wise. That being said, don't forget to also support Animal Works.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #9156 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic Where to you get your composite engines?
One of my favorite vendors is Sirius Rocketry. Reason being that their single use motors tend to be more rather than less "in stock". That's not to say they don't have supply issues (for example the Aerotech F32 24mm motors have not been available there for a while). They *do* have hazmat motors but not always in the delay time i'd want. But there are some in-stock like the F50T 4, 9 (but 6 is clearly more popular and they don't have the 6's). They also have G79s and G77s in stock. No G80s tho.

Why do I like *this* vendor? Here is the example:

Aerotech F67s (my new favorite F motor... no hazmat 61 N-s)

(N motors)(N x motor price)(shipping)(total)(list price x N)

So as you can see, once you get TWO packs, the total price is LESS than the list price you'd pay. I just blew 170+ bucks there and the shipping came to 12 dollars. Unf. they did not have F67-6s. But they do have Aerotech G LMS motors for example (no hazmat there either).

But like ALL vendors who discount... they are out of some stuff. Right now, hobbylinc has F50T-6s but they are hazmat. BuyRocketMotors has F32s (unlike Sirius) but their discount isn't quite as good as Sirius.

The dude there told me that he gets shipments from aerotech but they don't always actually completely fill the darn order he puts in. Chris's rocket supplies (list price for EVERYTHING) claims to have over 77 F67-6s in stock... I won't put in here what I have to say about my suspicions!
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by DeltaVee. Reason: formatting

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 5 months ago #9158 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Where to you get your composite engines?
I can concur with your experience with the vendors you mentioned. I have my invoices from engine purchases from the last few years. I have spreadsheets tracking engine prices. Compared to last year I have seen dramatic price increases. I don't know the reason for the increase in engine prices.

More
5 years 5 months ago #9159 by DeltaVee
I think Gary likes money :-) and that's fine. My biggest complaint is the supply chain. How can any vendor not get their hands on stock for more than a year? Imagine a car dealer that can't get cars from a manufacturer!

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 5 months ago #9161 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Where to you get your composite engines?
Who is Gary the Aerotech representative? I contacted Aerotech customer support earlier in the year and asked questions about prices and scarcity of engines. I didn't get straight answers. Fortunately we can get single use Estes branded engines from AC Supply and of course reloads from Animal works. The problem with the Estes composite engines is that you have to purchase their Sonic igniters which have a high failure rate. It's a good idea to get some Aerotech First Fire Juniors.

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #9162 by DeltaVee
I'm referring to the 'big cheese' at AT, the CEO and founder. Besides, who doesn't like money? I think the era of "straight answers" for a lot of questions is over, especially for "big" companies.

AC supply prices are very very good. But I will gladly pay list price at a local shop before I pay a hazmat fee. Hobby emporium did have some E30 and F50 motors but last time I was there they were out and I doubt they'll get more any time soon (hope I'm wrong...).

The first F50 motor I ever bought was shipped via us mail (along with the kit I purchased) and there was no hazmat fee in 1996! i don't even know when that started, or when the USPS put in the 30 gm propellant limit. Oh well... doesn't matter now.

This just in: F67's on buyrocketmotors.com show a list price increase of $2.00... a nearly 7% increase... Sigh.
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by DeltaVee.