× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Search and Rescue

• Frank DeAngelo
  • Frank DeAngelo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #9087 by Frank DeAngelo
At the August 25, 2018 launch some of us unfortunate rocketeers were the victim of the rocket eating trees. Not only that, once you go into the woods 20 or 30 feet or so, the landscape drops down. After the range was closed my son David brought out his drone to try and locate some of the lost rockets. He was not able to find a single one.
My Executioner was angled toward the middle of the field but for some reason it decided to take a detour from the flight plan and head over towards the trees. No sense crying about something I could not control. Tony V. is an inspiration when it comes to hanging in there. He lost two rockets including a beautiful Red Nova that looked like it came right out of the Estes catalog.
I ordered a replacement Executioner and all the parts required to custom build it. The kit came in the mail yesterday. I noticed some changes since the original release of the kit. It now comes with the Estes plastic engine retainer. Instead of the basswood fins it now comes with balsa wood. You have to cut the fins slots in the lower body tube.
I may have asked this question in a previous post but I was wondering what other rocketeers do when they lose a rocket. Do you replace it with the same kit, buy another in its place, notice that you now have more room in your rocket box?

Hope to see you all next weekend!
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Frank DeAngelo.

Please Log in to join the conversation.