× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Rocket Repair

• Frank DeAngelo
  • Frank DeAngelo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
2 weeks 7 hours ago #9015 by Frank DeAngelo
At yesterday's launch in Berwick three of my kits were damaged. Two repairs were simple and one was more extensive. The body tube came apart along the spiral. I ended up using couplers and spare body tube to bring the kit back to flight worthy status. Over the years I have accumulated a number of rocket parts that I can use for fixing broken rockets. I find that as long as the fin section is in tack there is a good chance that a rocket can be repaired. I would be curios to hear some of your rocket repair stories.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• John P. Petrakis
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 week 4 days ago #9017 by John P. Petrakis
I was there also... and my shiny new Goblin clone and my Estes Phoenix popped one of the lower fins. I swear the nature of the damage was nothing less than astonishing. The fin popped and pulled the outer tubing layer away. I've had hard landings "back in the day" and cracked fillets etc. but I've never had a (even in my now very lost old Phoenix) fin pop like these did. It was as if the tube had de-laminated. The Goblin repair was done at home. As Berwick was a rather long drive, I wanted to fly the Phoenix again so I did a field repair. While it flew well on an Aerotech E30, and it landed on the grass... the chute dragged it across the dirt road by the time I got to it. If I hadn't used coating epoxy on the fins, the damage would have been far worse. The lower fin on the Phoenix I field repaired is now not quite as straight out and in line with the upper fin as it used to be. I think the moral of the story is to either not be so crazy about alignment or, cut the fin completely away and THEN do your repair. In the case of the Phoenix, I thought since the fin was still fairly strongly held to the tube, a careful application of cyano would ensure alignment... well that'd be true, if you were not too worried about gluing your fingers together which I almost did!.

• Frank DeAngelo
  • Frank DeAngelo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
1 week 4 days ago #9018 by Frank DeAngelo
I had a Phoenix that constantly broke. It got to the point where is was a total wreck. I did salvage the nose cone for a scratch build. It is a beautiful kit. Sometimes it's a tough call whether to do a field repair or take it back to the shop. Linda opted for a shop repair of her Hy Flier XL. I'll tell you more about the Executioner repair at the next launch.

Upcoming Events

Login

Search

Weather forecast by:

windy