× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

3d printing and model rocketry - presentation Goodnow Sudbury Wed 2/28 at 7PM

• curtisheisey
  • curtisheisey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #8864 by curtisheisey
I've recently gotten very involved in using 3d printing for model rocketry. These include printing assemblages such as fin cans for integrated fin alignment and aerodynamic fin shapes. My presentation will cover lessons learned and cover the process from CAD design, printing, post processing and rocket assembly. I will use as a case study a LPR rocket that kids can print, build and fly. I will also briefly mention several high power rocket projects that I am working on. This includes an even larger Upscale Deuce's Wild with 2x38mm motors.

The principal audience is aimed at getting kids jazzed about model rocketry and offering them something that they can print and fly. Goodnow library is putting together a makerspace, so this presents the opportunity for local 3d printing.

3d printing and model rocketry
Goodnow Library
2/28 7PM

Curtis

*****The date is the 28th*****
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by curtisheisey. Reason: wrong date

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #8865 by KennB
I saw a detailed presentation on this topic at the Northern Illinois Rocketry Convention this past Saturday. It opened my mind to the possibilities of this technology when the parts are designed and produced properly. I've been jaded by too many student groups making something that looked good on the outside but hadn't been given any thought as to the structural issues.

I hope you get a good audience for this, Curtis. If it's a Power Point presentation or a pdf, maybe we can post it in our How To Articles.

More
6 years 1 month ago #8866 by Marsfire
I am interested in this and would like to attend. By "makerspace" do you mean they will have a printer on site and you can bring a file and print something? For a price of course.

• curtisheisey
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #8876 by curtisheisey
Yes, I will have a ppt. Hope to work up an article as well. I can do a club presentation at some point.

Did the Northern Illinois Rocketry presentation have any hardcopy? I would love to compare notes.

Note: the date is the 28th.

• curtisheisey
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #8877 by curtisheisey
The Goodnow library has a 3d printer. It is available for public use. I checked, and anyone can submit a design. Only one design may be submitted per week, and it must have a printing time of 6 hrs or less. The cost is $1/hour (which is low, as these servces go). There are only a couple of materials to choose from,

Here is the link to submit an STL file for printing
goodnowlibrary.org/services/technology-i...3d-printing-request/

Weston and Wayland have printers as well. Not sure what their policies are.

• curtisheisey
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #8878 by curtisheisey