× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Winter Follies - 2018

• KennB
  • KennB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 4 months ago #8801 by KennB
Winter Follies - 2018 was created by KennB
We're going to try scheduling our annual Winter Follies Launch at the School Street field in Acton, MA, a little differently this year. Acton has granted us a "blanket" permit that covers all the weekend days in January. The conditions are that can use the field one of those days, not all of them. We will begin by scheduling the launch for 06 January; if the weather forecast a few days out looks good, we'll fly on the 6th. If preditions are less than acceptable, we can bump it to the next day or the next weekend. The decision will be made by the Wednesday before the weekend so everyone will have some time to prepare or make other plans.

Set up will be at 10 AM and we'll finish up flying by 3 PM at the latest.

This field is only suitable for low- and mid-powered flights and weather conditions must be taken into account.

As we've proved before, bad weather won't deter us from flying but it may shorten the day.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #8809 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Winter Follies - 2018
I have some great memories of Winter Follies past. We have had weather in the upper 40's. One year we had heavy snow. Remember when the field was a sheet of ice and you had to slide to recovery your rocket?. There were some launches where the field was free of snow but it was very cold. According to the extended forecast, next Saturday's high is 14 degrees.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by deangelo54.

• KennB
  • KennB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 3 months ago #8819 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Winter Follies - 2018
With low temperatures and the predicted wind, frostbite warnings are being issued for this weekend. Not a good time to be standing out in the open flying rockets. We'll reschedule for the 13th and follow the predictions next week.

In the meantime, enjoy the snow and stay warm.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #8820 by deangelo54
A wise decision. Linda was concerned about you and Guy freezing at the RSO table and LCO controls. This gives me the opportunity to work on the Torrent project.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by deangelo54.

More
6 years 3 months ago #8821 by DeltaVee
Replied by DeltaVee on topic Winter Follies - 2018
I'm never going to paint the >>5<< rockets I've got under construction at this rate....

More
6 years 3 months ago #8822 by deangelo54
I'm not sure about paining but when we do have the Winter Follies Launch you can count on snow being on the field.