× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Lost in Action

• deangelo54
  • deangelo54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #8702 by deangelo54
Lost in Action was created by deangelo54
This season I have not had any CATOs or any disasters I couldn't fix. I only lost two rockets, both at School Street in Acton. I didn't even lose anything at Nara Field. All in all I can't complain. Just think about how many Maxi Der Red Maxx CATOs we have seen or how many rockets went into the trees at Nara Field.

In both cases I have been able to replace the lost rockets. The first loss was a scratch build from parts that Boris gave me. With more spare parts and a couple of balsa items from Flis Kits I was able to build a replacement. The second one was an Estes Hornet that I really liked and is out of production. There is only one other Hornet that I have seen at a CMASS launch. Once again with spare parts from Boris and a balsa nosecone from Estes, I have rebuilt the rocket. Not to mention I found a Hornet kit online at AC Supply.

If anyone has watched the Discovery Rocket Challenge from the 2003 LDRS there was a scene where Tim Lehr's "The Beast" came crashing to the ground when the chute did not open. This was an $8,000 rocket. He said if it was easy then anybody could do it and it would not be as much fun. There is always a sense of excitement and accomplishment when your rocket's engine ignites, it leaps off the pad and returns safely to the Earth. We choose rocketry as a hobby not because it is easy but because it is hard. (Thank you JFK).

I tend to get emotionally attached to some of the rockets that I have had for a long time. There are some fond memories of those that I have built with my kids or memories from past launches. I don't feel as bad losing a rocket that I have had for a short time like the ones I lost this year. I can replace those but I can't replace the memories of the older members of the fleet.

Share your thoughts and feelings about rocketry disasters and lost rockets. Has Tony V. ever lost a rocket?
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by deangelo54.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #8703 by jbuscaglia
Replied by jbuscaglia on topic Lost in Action

If anyone has watched the Discovery Rocket Challenge from the 2003 LDRS there was a scene where Tim Lehr's "The Beast" came crashing to the ground when the chute did not open. This was an $8,000 rocket. He said if it was easy then anybody could do it and it would not be as much fun. There is always a sense of excitement and accomplishment when your rocket's engine ignites, it leaps off the pad and returns safely to the Earth. We choose rocketry as a hobby not because it is easy but because it is hard. (Thank you JFK).

I usually quote from the movie A League of their Own, when Jimmy Dugan (Tom Hanks) tells Dottie (Geena Davis) "It's supposed to be hard. If it were easy, everyone would do it. It's the 'hard' that makes it great."

(Now that I think about it, I use that to describe most of my hobbies - rocketry, golf, curling. I need to find something that's supposed to be easy.)
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by jbuscaglia.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #8704 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Lost in Action
I watch videos of launches that take place in desert areas with not a tree or any other obstruction in site. I imagine you are less likely to lose a rocket in that environment, especially if you have a tracking device on board. For single deploy launches what are the variables? Engine size, launch angle and chute size.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by deangelo54.

More
6 years 7 months ago #8705 by tonypv
Replied by tonypv on topic Lost in Action
Has Tony V. ever lost a rocket?

Oh, I've lost more than I can count over the years.

• deangelo54
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 7 months ago #8706 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic Lost in Action
It must really be heart breaking when you lose one because you put so much effort into the finish. Would you believe I am heading out to buy some primer and paint for my replacement Hornet? Kenn won't believe it is my rocket he sees it on the pad.

More
6 years 7 months ago #8707 by jbuscaglia
Replied by jbuscaglia on topic Lost in Action

Oh, I've lost more than I can count over the years.

I'm not sure if I've lost more than I can count or just more than I can remember. I learned long ago not to become too emotionally attached to my rockets. While it's disappointing to lose one or prang one, it's a risk that you have to be willing to take. You can try to minimize the risk, but it's always there.

I haven't been losing enough recently. I need to lose some in order to make room for new ones.