× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Advice

• rocket_rob
  • rocket_rob's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #8448 by rocket_rob
Advice was created by rocket_rob
I'm still relatively new at high powered rocketry, so I'm unsure of the best way to attach a nose cone to a payload tube/body tube. The two high powered rockets I've built so far, the Sumo and the G-force have their nose cones attached to the shock cords. I recently bought a Mad Cow Aerobee Hi 3.1 rocket and I'm almost done building it. I asked Mad Cow what they recommend and they gave me four ways of attaching it. I wanted to know what you guys thought was the best way? Shear pins? Rivets? Screws? Tie a shock cord to it and attach it some how in the payload section?
I want to modify the nose cone to create a payload section to mount my Jolly Logic altimeter in it, so I plan on inserting a plywood "centering ring" in the opening I will create in the bottom of the shoulder. I was thinking that I could just use four small self tapping screws through the tube and into the plywood ring.
Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by rocket_rob.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #8449 by Boris Katan
Replied by Boris Katan on topic Advice
I prefer several small wood or sheet metal screws.
Strong and easy to remove when needed.
Some folks like rivets, I don't have experience with them.

Would not recommend shear pins for parts that are supposed to stay attached for the whole flight.
Shear pins are normally used for separation points for second deployment events = main chutes.
Shear pins are often small Nylon screws (like 2-56). They are meant to be cut by an ejection charge fired inside the area they are holding closed.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Boris Katan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rocket_rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.