× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Wellesley College Project Video

• hgreenblatt
  • hgreenblatt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 11 months ago #8293 by hgreenblatt
Wellesley College Project Video was created by hgreenblatt
Katie and Cordelia (Team H.A.W.K) from Wellesley College approached us a while back to help them with a rocket project they were doing for a class. The project was an "Instrumented Rocket Experiment for Measuring Atmospheric Properties (I.R.E M.A.P)". The rocket payload used a Raspberry Pi to collect data from multiple sensors. The rocket they built was a modified North Coast Rocketry - Lance Delta .

They did an awesome job on the build and payload sensor package. The flight (on a G80T-10) was great but unfortunately the wind picked up and blew the rocket into the trees east of the field just south of Woodsom Drive. Last Saturday Alan S and I (thank you Alan!) spent a couple of hours with the big slingshot trying to get it out of the tree - it's about 70 ft up near the top. We got close but ran out of daylight. Hopefully it will eventually be recovered.

In any case, Katie and Cordelia put together a wonderful video of the project which I have added to our video links (it's the last one in the list on the bottom) and I am also including it here. Enjoy!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #8294 by jbuscaglia
Replied by jbuscaglia on topic Wellesley College Project Video
Nice video. Hopefully, they got a good grade despite not getting the rocket back.

More
7 years 11 months ago #8307 by rocket_rob
Replied by rocket_rob on topic Wellesley College Project Video
It killed me to see that rocket end up in that tree, all of you put a lot of effort into that rocket and you all looked so excited to launch it. Hopefully one of you lives close enough to check on if it comes down or left your contact information with the "nice" neighbor.

More
7 years 11 months ago #8309 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Wellesley College Project Video
A few club members are keeping an eye on it as well as the neighbor we met that day. Howard and Alan tried using Howard's slingshot device to get the rocket down a couple of weeks ago but haven't succeeded yet. If the weather helps out a little, another attempt will be made.

More
7 years 11 months ago #8315 by alan
Replied by alan on topic Wellesley College Project Video
There have been higher than normal winds the last 2 days. Will try to take another look this week. -Alan

More
7 years 10 months ago #8320 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Wellesley College Project Video
I went there today, 20 May, and the rocket doesn't seemed to have moved much at all. The leaves are starting to obscure the view and will make it hard to see from the comfy viewing area I've been using on Woodsom Road.