× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

L1 in my future

• mlaudato
  • mlaudato's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 years 5 months ago #6307 by mlaudato
L1 in my future was created by mlaudato
Well, it's coming in the mail - a Madcow Super DX3, plus some hardware. First things first, I've very little experience with epoxy. 'The Book' mentions Devcon, plus RF and other sites seem to have devotees to several other brands including Aeropoxy, West Systems and Bob Smith.

I plan to do many test bonds on things other than my expensive new rocket kit until I get the hang of this particular goop - but what brands have folks found best/worst? Appreciate any insight (and I will try but likely fail, to actually get to a meeting and pick brains in person!).

Thanks,
- Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #6308 by Peter.Graves
Replied by Peter.Graves on topic Re: L1 in my future
Matt
I use west system epoxiy

More
11 years 5 months ago #6309 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic Re: L1 in my future
I use whatever is available at the Hobby Shop (in my case, RC Buyers Warehouse in Nashua). Lately that means Bob Smith 5, 15 and 30 minute epoxies. I have had good luck with all ot them. Whatever brand you use, it helps if the surfaces you are bonding are rough or porous or both. Very smooth surfaces like what can be found on fiberglass models can make for weak bonds if not roughed up.

• mlaudato
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 years 5 months ago #6310 by mlaudato
Replied by mlaudato on topic Re: L1 in my future
Good suggestions guys. I'll probably take a run over to Hobby Bunker in Malden this weekend and see what they have (and just because Hobby Bunker is an awesome place which I highly recommend). And then some experimental bonding.

More
11 years 5 months ago #6311 by azhilyakov
Replied by azhilyakov on topic Re: L1 in my future
Unless you are trying to go supersonic on your L1 :-) I would not worry about particular epoxy brand. Rough up the surfaces with #60 sanding paper, clean with alcohol, fit tight and don't move until epoxy cures.

If it's your first time with epoxy, avoid 5-min one - it may cure on you before you fit all the parts in the right places. If you have kids - more incentive to use longer cure time.

• mlaudato
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #6312 by mlaudato
Replied by mlaudato on topic Re: L1 in my future
Thanks Alex. I'm going to experiment on scrap with both 15 and 30 min to get a feel for both. Even on my paper models I lightly rough up the surfaces (a good gluing habit) but thanks for the tip!

- Matt
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by mlaudato.