× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Mass Dept of Fire Services Letter

More
13 years 6 months ago #4584 by barockteer
Mass Dept of Fire Services Letter was created by barockteer
Pardon me if this has been discussed already...

Today I received a letter from the Mass Department of Fire Safety (SECOND NOTICE - I ignored the first one!)

To summarize, this letter says that the Mass DOFS has checked a list provided by the ATF and found that I have an active ATF license, but DOFS has no state license(s) on file.

I was irked by this for the reasons detailed below, so I called the phone number, immediately got the person named in the letter, and explained the following:

1. Just because I have an ATF license does not mean I am actually storing explosives.

2. The only reason I have an ATF license is becaused I previously needed one for storing rocket motors.

3. Due to recent legislation, rocket motors are no longer considered explosives.

4. Next time my LEUP is up for renewal, I\'m going to let it lapse.

The woman was reasonable. I asked her to remove my name from her list. We\'ll see if I get a \'THIRD NOTICE\'.

As usual, it seems like it\'s up to the rocketry community to educate the public officials.

If anyone else gets a similar letter, I suggest they politely call and try to further educate the DOFS.

Respectfully submitted,

Tony Brock-Fisher

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #4585 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re:Mass Dept of Fire Services Letter
I got the letter too. I\'m keeping mine so I can legally store igniters and black powder. I emailed the person on the letter explaining the situation and was asked if I had a local permit. I do and I emailed a copy to them and that was the end of it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.